Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eclipse Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse Plans?

We are planning to go to Triple Tree for the Eclipse on Monday. Is anyone else doing any flying for the occasion?

There's an eclipse?

That sounds like fun. You'll definitely have better "coverage" down there that we will. In this neck of the woods, it's centered over Southern Illinois.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Jared, I will be there in my RV8 . I will try and park a little north of shower house. Stinger

Comment

Bob & Diana will be at Triple Tree.. Mark

Comment

Dennis and I had intended on flying to Independence, Corvallis or Salem whoever could accommodate us. A friend flew over to Madres OR to see about ramp room and was told at the moment they had reservations for 7000 aircraft. There are tracks of land under the eclipse in that area that have booked single spots for $3K and all the spots are filled. Should have leased some of that land a year ago!! John Day is closing the airport from Sun, thru Tuesday, they are busy fighting fires and do not want the traffic. Several other airports are setting up temporary towers. It's been on the news that the State police are keeping a close watch on I-5 and are very concerned about backed up traffic. There is a rumor going around anybody caught parking on the side of the road to watch it will be fined $600. A real money maker for all! I think I'll stay home. We are south of totality, but good enough.
          Last edited by Flygirl1; 08-17-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

You all are making me jealous! Enjoy Triple Tree and take some pictures for me. I have to work on Monday.
            Stephen B. Murphey
            Bearhawk LSA
            Building #L-089

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl1 View Post
              Dennis and I had intended on flying to Independence, Corvallis or Salem whoever could accommodate us. A friend flew over to Madres OR to see about ramp room and was told at the moment they had reservations for 7000 aircraft. There are tracks of land under the eclipse in that area that have booked single spots for $3K and all the spots are filled. Should have leased some of that land a year ago!! John Day is closing the airport from Sun, thru Tuesday, they are busy fighting fires and do not want the traffic. Several other airports are setting up temporary towers. It's been on the news that the State police are keeping a close watch on I-5 and are very concerned about backed up traffic. There is a rumor going around anybody caught parking on the side of the road to watch it will be fined $600. A real money maker for all! I think I'll stay home. We are south of totality, but good enough.
              Holy cow, that's nuts!
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris In Milwaukee View Post

Holy cow, that's nuts!
                Yeah, similar to Donna we're just north of the path and I'd really love to see the total blackout but talks about traffic are keeping me home probably. It's a shame because we're so close! We'll still get 90-something% coverage here.
                Last edited by Chewie; 08-18-2017, 08:15 AM.
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

My house in the in the path of totality but my wife has been assigned to work the eclipse in Mackay, ID. We have a place there, across the street from the airport, so the kids and I will be going with her. Wish the plane was done so we didn't have to endure the traffic. Mackay is a town of 477 people but are expecting something like 30K visitors.
                  Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

When I first saw the post title, I was wondering what sort of aircraft the "Eclipse" was and where you got the plans for it......

I will be flying a B777 from Hong Kong to SFO and was hoping to catch it over the Pacific but looking at the timings, I think I am going to be just a few hours late.

Comment

Hey PaulSA, I'm with ya! Every time I see the title of the thread, I think Jared is building a small, twin engine jet... And I'm wondering how he got the plans!

Bill

Comment

The plans are the easy part. The friction stir welding torch, that's the hassle.

Comment

I dunno - we learned to do friction stir with a bow and a stick to start fires in Boy Scouts... Can't be THAT much harder with a welding rod, right? (Says the guy who bought a QB kit because he didn't trust his own welding...)
                          Jim Parker
                          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I made it down to east/central Oregon and was treated with quite a site. Pure totality with perfect weather. Glad I didn't believe the traffic predictions. I was amazed how it cooled off during the whole thing. The difference between that and a partial eclipse is, well, day and night. Hope some others got to enjoy it!
                            Mark
                            Scratch building Patrol #275
                            Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
                            X