Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel vent fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel vent fairing

I have never liked the fuel vents that consist of a 1/4 tube cut at a 45 deg angle facing forward. I have cut my scalp on these at least once. If you bend the tubing so it faces forward you risk having an insect plug it. Someone on the old yahoo group used to sell streamlined fairings using AN838 fittings but I didn't buy any before they stopped making them. I had planned on making my own using some foam and fiberglass. Before I started I did a search to see what might be available. Turned out jdair.com who make various RV parts had just started making machined aluminum faired vents. The vents face forward, have a screen to keep bugs out and a hole in the bottom in case the front inlet gets plugged. Not cheap at $55 a pair but look great, should work great and will prevent head injuries.

If it's problems with keeping the bugs out that is preventing you from using the forward-facing 3/8" tubing, there is a simple solution (courtesy of my buddies over at the Grumman Gang). The Rainbird sprinkler filters (like this: http://store.rainbird.com/1800finesc...ription_tabbed) can be purchased at your local Lowes Aviation Supply for around a dollar each, and fit perfectly into your 3/8" vent tube. You may want to put a tiny dab of adhesive on the rim (pointy end goes into the vent) to secure it in place. This keeps the critters out, but allows the air to flow freely.
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I take it your not using the Bearhawk fuel caps with the built in vents? Those RV vents do look cool and if not using vented caps I think they look the a great option that is reasonably priced. I’m a fan of vented caps though.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
        I take it your not using the Bearhawk fuel caps with the built in vents? Those RV vents do look cool and if not using vented caps I think they look the a great option that is reasonably priced. I’m a fan of vented caps though.
        The vented caps are certainly the easiest way to vent your tanks. To me they look like they add a lot of drag so I went with flush caps.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Rod, if you profile the top of the caps to an airfoil shape - I doubt there is much drag at all. The current batch of fuel caps has that already done. Mark

I used both the vented caps and the streamlined RV vents which look very nice, I figured if one gets plugged there is a backup. I put a small check valve from andair just outside the fuel tank to prevent fuel from leaking out if parked on an uneven surface
        Luke

Comment

Thanks Jim, The rain bird screen worked great on my 1/4 inch fuel vents. I did drill three small holes in the front for ram air. Stinger
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
          X