Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did your panel cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did your panel cost?

The biggest variable im seeing in my build is the panel. It can get confusing. I just want a good VFR panel and must have ADS-B. What did you do and what did it all cost you? Anything you would have done different?

A difficult question I would say. You can spend as much as you like, or as little.

I've flown Bearhawk's with a $50,000 panel and a $15,000 panel (NZ dollars, US dollars about 70% of those numbers). Both have heaps of functionality, both twin glass screens. You could probably get away with $1,000 if you wanted to.

"How long is a piece of string?"

Comment

Yeah I know its a vauge question. I want to run a Garmin G3X and a696 but im not sure what additional costs need to be accounted for. I know it needs the 6 cyl harness for engine monitors and coms etc.

Comment

I'll have less than $4k into my very basic VFR panel but I went with some used avionics. Adding ADSB would cost another $1500. If you go Garmin you'll be $10K or more.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I read a lot of folks are going to wait until the day before ADS-B is required, to comply. The reason being that it keeps getting cheaper/lighter. Drones of certain size are going to be required to have it as well. The systems for those should be very cheap and light fairly quickly. I believe one of those is already being marketed, and it weighs 4 oz. I can't remember the price but I want to say $800.

I will be one of the late adopters I think.

Comment

Svyolo that’s probably a great idea.

Comment

I can see thousands doing it, and not being able to comply on day one due to a backlog. I might be one of those as well. LOL The FAA will probably grant an extension.

Comment

The fellow are all right, you can put as much or as little as you wish into your panel. I talked with one builder that is planning to only have two I-Pads. Not for me!

I went with the Garmin products and stayed with their experimental side. I have the 2)G3X displays one 10" and one 7", one com, one xponder w/ads-b in & out and WAS gps, an audio module since I have a 4pace for intercom and the 6 cyl instrument pak. Also a TruTrc autopilot that I purchased prior to knowing the G3X would have handled all of that. I have $17K tied up and still need to buy the antennas. I bought a handheld com/vor as a backup.

Comment

• Luke68
                  Luke68 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have any pictures of the 10” screen mounted? I have been looking at it a little more lately but it seems like a really tight fit.

This is $22k USD. That includes all antennas, 3 axis autopilot with servos, com, all engine probes, pitot etc etc etc.. all from Dynon. Its th HDX. That price includes them building it from my template as well as paint. Paid a 2,700 premium to have them build it. Best of luck to ya
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

To be honest, I could probably live with 2 IPADS if they were totally daylight readable. I am planning on one big EFIS and an IPAD (or Samsung). More than likely I will end up with a couple of autopilot servos, so a single EFIS is probably necessary. I am just going to build a day VFR bush plane, and don't think I need much more. If I need it, I will add it later.

I will probably want to ability to fly a "redneck" IFR approach,and the EFIS and servos make this a breeze. Sometimes, IFR happens. I have done full CAT III autolands into airports with forecasted VFR weather. Mostly coastal CA.

My kit officially arrives April 3rd. Post less, build more..........

Comment

Our panel is simple simple. Dynon 180, Garmin GTR 200, & a used re-certified Transponder. The Dynon 180 is a combination EFIS & EMS. The Dynon 180 had the Angle of Attack gauge that is important so if one added up the cost of the EFIS & EMS gauge equivalents that will be used then the Dynon is less expensive. The D180 weighs less than a handful of analog gauges.. It gives decent flight information and the EMS monitors all 6 cylinders.The Dynon 180 has everything that we need and beyond. The Garmin GTR200 radio had good reviews as soon as it was released and has become certified since its release. The transponder in my opinion is a PIA and I would not have bought it. My partners thought they might want to cross into the US. The wiring was all within my capabilities so that worked for me. Typical flying here is 1/2 - 1 hr. The panel fit the budget and we may pick up a Garmin portable GPS for flying but we have handhelds that are good enough for our purposes.

Comment

I guess I'm at the high end of the spectrum. A pair of G3X's, IFR WAAS GPS, two com radios, two axis autopilot, ADS-B in/out, heated pitot, full engine monitoring, etc. Purchased through and wired up by an avionics shop. Complete, wiring harnesses, antennae, etc around 32K. Worth it? Who knows? I like to be able to go even when there is a little fog or something that would stop me from going when equipped for VFR only.
                      Rollie VanDorn
                      Findlay, OH
                      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Originally posted by Rollie View Post
                        I guess I'm at the high end of the spectrum. A pair of G3X's, IFR WAAS GPS, two com radios, two axis autopilot, ADS-B in/out, heated pitot, full engine monitoring, etc. Purchased through and wired up by an avionics shop. Complete, wiring harnesses, antennae, etc around 32K. Worth it? Who knows? I like to be able to go even when there is a little fog or something that would stop me from going when equipped for VFR only.
                        Exactly what I am planning except I am going to have Steinair cut the panel and do all the wiring and installation myself, actually looking forward to that. I found a shop that will sell me all the garmin boxes for about 9% off list.

Comment

• Archer39J
                          Archer39J commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’d be interested if you don’t mind sharing. Been looking at Sarasota out of FL for best prices so far.

• Rollie
                          Rollie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          In hindsight, I think I would have been better off wiring it myself. I never received wiring schematics like I was supposed to, finally gave up asking for them. I've had to re-wire some of the engine sensors that had the ground and sensing wires reversed-difficult to find without schematics. And the roll servo harness is completely wired wrong and I'm waiting to find out what they are going to do about that-so far what they are doing is not returning my calls. If I have to figure it out on my own and re-wire that harness, I'll be recommending this shop as one to avoid.

For those of us who really take seriously the meaning of "E" in EAA, there is an option that I have considered, and that is building your own glass-panel from very inexpensive computer components. I have designed a couple that run on a standard computer screen but have not taken the time to convert to some of the lighter more-portable displays. One can make quite a few sensors using almost free off-the-shelf electronic components. Altimeters and air-speed indicators I've made from the water-level sensor from a washing machine. If one scrounges parts, most of the functionality of a a simple VFR panel can be built for under $100.

Will I go that route on my Patrol? Maybe. It is just that I would be careful relying on such a system too much. But then I figure that if under good conditions I cannot fly a Patrol without any instruments at all I have no business being up in the air anyway.

I just put new head-gaskets in my Subaru last week and as of right now do not care if I ever see another sensor-wire, plastic connector, or tubing to connect to an engine.

Comment

Somewhere less than $400.

Used altimeter, airspeed indicator, mechanical tach, bought over E bay or from fly-in swap meets at roughly $40/piece Bosch mechanical oil pressure and temp gauge purchased new for about $40.

Compass I had on hand but it needed rebuilding.

Followed an old EAA article to make a home made skid/slip ball, 8" tablet with Avare for navigation., $50 used handheld to start for the radio(later upgraded to a new Icom). $25 external antenna from E bay gives me better than a 50 mile Rx/25 mile Tx range.

Two toggle switches for the mags and one guarded momentary on toggle for the starter. One cigarette lighter jack to plug the radio and tablet into

No engine driven charging system so no need for transponder or ADSB even though I'm under the Mode C veil..One Earth X battery for my "total loss" system and I've gone 15 hours between charges without an issue. Both the tablet and radio have internal batteries so even if the battery dies I can just hand prop.

Comment

Working...
                          X