Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Barrows exhaust system for 180 HP four place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Barrows exhaust system for 180 HP four place

Bob has asked me to undertake a new project. Like most things (but not all) that Bob recommends - his interest is finding lower cost options for builders.

Bob has given me an exhaust system from his O360 powered four place. This exhaust is made of EMT tubing .065 wall but very low cost compared to the stainless used on most systems. Bob removed this exhaust system from his plane after 20 years of use. To my knowledge - it never cracked and needed to be repaired. Bob believes there would be demand for this low cost exhaust costing (we think) less than $400. That is the price Bob wants to shoot for.

But I told Bob that before the factory builds tooling to make these - that I wanted to see if anyone is actually interested in having this kind of system.

So please let me know if you would have interest in this kind of Bob Barrows designed inexpensive exhaust system. Thanks. Mark

Mark, I built and flew that exhaust for 300 hrs with no problems. I eventually had Clint at Vetterman build me a stainless set up with mufflers and I like the improved heat but there is nothing wrong with the EMT set up, especially at that price. Got sick welding that galvanized pipe though.

Comment

If I were using a 360 I would certainly consider it. If you build one for the 540 at a proportionally higher cost I would strongly consider that option too. As a point of reference for the 540, Vettermans most recent price for a 3 into 1 system with dual heat muffs (no mufflers) is $1375. With mufflers is $1975.

Comment

Good idea I think.

Comment

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is EMT? How does it compare to stainless?

Comment

I think that might be electrical mechanical tubing (emt).

I have also used automotive exhaust pipe. You can purchase a pipe kit of pre bent exhaust pipe parts from a company like Summit Racing or your local muffler shop.

Comment

If it could be used on a 180-hp Patrol, I would definitely be interested. ;-)
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Chewie
                Chewie commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto

12345 (now I have ten character minimum...)

My attitude is "I trust Bob and Mark." So if you are offering it for $400, I will order it without shopping or questioning too much, especially knowing that the exhaust will fit my airframe. But wait a minute, I live in Michigan and want to have a good source of heat in the cabin during winter flying. If the product doesn't provide for that, I would a lot pay extra to keep the wife of my youth toasty warm in the back of the Patrol.

The exhaust seems like an excellent product to expand. Consider Carb heat boxes from Spruce which have widespread poor reviews, are costly, but seem simple (to me) to fabricate.
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

OK - I'm in........

Comment

I am looking at using the lycoming IO-390 or supiorior IO-400.
                  i also need to know if it produces heat (Chicago can get cold too), and I want the quietest ride that is practical to achieve.

i think the 390 will fit on a 360 dynafocal mount? Just bigger cylinders and longer stroke. Since I am plans build I am a long ways out.
                  4-place bravo plans #1445B.
                  Build start date, Aug 1, 2017
                  Cell- 773 21 QUANT (Bearhawk calls welcome)
                  No website yet.

Comment

The BH I flew for a summer had this type of exhaust. It was very efficient ($), worked well, the carb heat was just barely adequate, the cabin heat was ok and it was LOUD both inside and on the ground. I think the carb/cabin heat could be made to work well but there isn’t much you can do about the noise level.

I think it is a good budget option but it would be so easy to make I’m surprised Bob thinks it’s worth the factories time.
                    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Any update on this plan......?

Comment

I hate to disappoint but this never got off the ground. I had very little interest from builders and it was a big project for us. I recommend the Vetterman exhaust system. It is more expensive that we could have done using EMT, but his work is very good and the stainless is preferable material all in all. Mark

Comment

• PaulSA
                          PaulSA commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Mark - that was the original plan.....
                      Working...
                      X