Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking brake ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking brake ideas?

Anyone found a good valve for parking brake the doesn't empty the bank account?

I will have a used Grove unit for sale, probably in June. I have been very satisfied with it and have a new one in my Bearhawk which should be ready for 1st flight in May. Contact me at rays@ntelos.net.

Comment

The Matco parking brake valve (Aircraft Spruce item # 06-17200) is about $140 (about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of others. That’s what I will probably use.
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        That was $90 a few years ago when I bought it!

Four left at $100 each for NOS Gerdes. A friend has one and is happy about it, I just bought two for my planes.

Comment

Grove makes a nice product but they are not the cheapest.
        I can vouch for their function, durability, and long lasting brake application.
        You may find cheaper valves let-off over the course of a few hours, not sure.

Comment

I know a BH builder had a bad experience with his Matco parking brake but they have been redesigned since then. I plan to install a Matco if I install one at all.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I just got a Matco. I plan to treat the parking brake as a temporary aid...
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

I was thinking about installing a on/off valve on both sides under the doors and if I need parking brakes I just hold them down and close the valves. The idea came from a cubcrafters airplane, it turns out it's a little lighter, and I don't have to deal with more control cables, and linkages.

Comment

Originally posted by schu View Post
                I was thinking about installing a on/off valve on both sides under the doors and if I need parking brakes I just hold them down and close the valves. The idea came from a cubcrafters airplane, it turns out it's a little lighter, and I don't have to deal with more control cables, and linkages.
                But how will you sleep at night :P Not sure its worth the operational headache, to save 50 dollars on a $90,000 plane?

Comment

The Matco parking brake is basically two ball valves operated by a single lever. Pretty simple and straight forward. It's either on or off. It won't turn off by simply pressing the brakes like some types do so you have to actuate it both directions. The only downside I can see to it is if you were to turn it on (close the valves) while the brakes are not applied, either while taxiing or flying, you would be basically turning off your brakes. Not a big concern, just a remote possibility. I just include checking that the park brake is off on my before landing GUMP check.
                  Rollie VanDorn
                  Findlay, OH
                  Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Working...
                  X