Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of Fuel Lines and Fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Fuel Lines and Fittings

Does anyone have a parts list for all of the fuel lines, fittings, couplings, T's, elbows, etc.? Newton's manual references the plans, sheet 16 & 17, for a schematic of the fuel system with parts numbers. My plans do not have these sheets or indicate this detail. Thanks.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

There are a lot of variables there. Probably pretty standard from the tanks to the Fuel selector but from there to the engine, Just about every one is a one off, depending on carb or injection, electric fuel pump, filter, fuel flow sensor, etc, also your choice of lines from the tank to the sight gauges, (hard lines or flex). I probably ordered hoses fuel line and fittings 4 or 5 times and ended up with quite a few fittings left over from when my plan changed a couple times. Sorry this isn't much help and some of those fittings are expensive.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I agree 100%. I have a lot of expensive fittings left over.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollie View Post
        There are a lot of variables there. Probably pretty standard from the tanks to the Fuel selector but from there to the engine, Just about every one is a one off, depending on carb or injection, electric fuel pump, filter, fuel flow sensor, etc, also your choice of lines from the tank to the sight gauges, (hard lines or flex). I probably ordered hoses fuel line and fittings 4 or 5 times and ended up with quite a few fittings left over from when my plan changed a couple times. Sorry this isn't much help and some of those fittings are expensive.
        Makes sense. I was assuming because it seemed at one time there was a set of plans with schematics and indicated parts that maybe a list still existed. I have measured and determined how much 3/8 tube I need firewall aft. But as I am looking through the choices of elbows, Tees, and couplings on the AC Spruce site, I thought I would check here for preferred connectors... AN816 Nipple Flaired Tube Connector, or, AN815 Union Flaired Tube Connector.... for example. It seems the choices are endless.
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I have been working on a BH 4 place QB kit for 4 months. The kit is very well fabricated. One of the downsides of a BH kit is that the whole kit builder experience is not a plug and play as an RV or one of the twice as expensive Super Cub clone kits. I knew that going in, and accept it. I view it as an opportunity to learn more. The downside of learning more is that I will have lots of "extra" hardware.

Over the years the plans and kits have changed. The hardware "kit" has not kept up with the changes. Looking big picture, the BH kit is still half the price of a Carbon Cub, and is a much more capable airplane. I accept the challenge, and will learn a lot more in the process.

Did I mention the kit is really nice.?

Comment

Absolutely agree, for the fuel system it's really hard do know exactly what you'll need. Jared had a good start here:

Hi Bearhawkers I am in the USA at present and planning to go via aircraft spruce before I depart. I don't have access to all my tech data at the moment, can

I don't think it's possible to know exactly what you'll need in advance, but you don't want to be held up either so you order some extra and just accept you'll have some expensive hardware left over.
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

We did one for the brake system, but now that you mention it I guess we never did one for the fuel. I'll add it to the queue!

Comment

Whops, I thought there was a later post that had fuel components. Guess I misremembered.
                Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

It’s a great kit but better parts and assembly documentation would take it over the top. Since I am a professional CAD guy as I build my Patrol I am creating full view isometric drawings showing the assembly process and calling out all purchased parts much in the style of the RV manuals. Just beginning but Oleo Struts, and cabin rudder assembly are done, brake mounting and fuel lines coming up. Exploded view of tailwheel assembly is available.
                  Last edited by spinningwrench; 08-02-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Bdflies
                    Bdflies commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bruce sent the tailwheel drawing to me. It is nothing short of amazing! When the entire aircraft is documented this way, the build process will be dramatically changed. Future maintenance will be easier also. I might not remember the details of each assembly, so these wonderful drawings will be great for reference.

Bill

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post

Makes sense. I was assuming because it seemed at one time there was a set of plans with schematics and indicated parts that maybe a list still existed. I have measured and determined how much 3/8 tube I need firewall aft. But as I am looking through the choices of elbows, Tees, and couplings on the AC Spruce site, I thought I would check here for preferred connectors... AN816 Nipple Flaired Tube Connector, or, AN815 Union Flaired Tube Connector.... for example. It seems the choices are endless.
                  I am kit building a Patrol. I took the plans, the Patrol Book, and the Aircraft Spruce catalog and started to build the fuel system on paper starting at the fuel tank specifying the exact hardware I thought I would need. Its very educational for me when I build a system like that in my mind and on paper with those details and specifics. I made up a tool list as well. You will get 80% of the AN hardware right the first time.

Try to build the fuselage rear fuel line in one piece from the wing root all the way to the tee. It can be done. You'll need a tubing flare tool and a tubing bender. I made patterns out of short pieces of 3003 soft tubing and runs out of wood dowels for each section before making the real thing out of 5052 rigid tubing. Hot glued them all thither. Fabricating the patterns was very educational as well. I made no errors bending the rigid tubing. Errors on long pieces of tubing with non standard shipping is expensive and frustrating.
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

The "parts" box of stuff that comes with the kit has a couple of fabricated parts that I can't identify. Is it OK to have parts leftover? LOL.

It would have been great to have all hardware correct and ready to install. However, I now know a LOT more about aircraft hardware. I think I like the latter better, at least for my first build.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                      Mark Goldberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      John, if you send me pictures of any parts I can identify them for you. Mark

This might help. Be aware there is the odd minor error but it should point you in the right direction.

Fuel Hardware.pdf

Comment

I think it's necessary to design out what you are planning to build. Hard to figure this out in your head. There is no single design, in fact there are probably 50 different designs.

This is my design drawing. Because it's not an as-built drawing, don't use it without thinking about it first.
                      IMG_20180805_141022.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X