Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealing the windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing the windshield

How did you guys seal your windshields? I'm kind of an all VFR weather flying so the plane will see plenty of moisture while both flying and sitting. I'd prefer to keep that moisture outside. Cessna uses felt on the backing strip but since I don't have a full length backing strip, I used the 3 short angled pieces as described in the kit manual, that method won't work for me.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

I put clear silicone in the channel at the top of the windshield and ran a bead of silicone along the bottom of the windshield just before I put the fairing on, so it the fairing would squish the silicone into place. I haven't had any issues. I did find that the channel at the top of the windshield, the way it is spot welded to the channel for the skylight, there are small gaps in that piece. I didn't catch that right away and it leaked but it was an easy fix with a bit more silicone to fill those gaps. I probably put silicone along the sides of the windshield too, but I don't remember.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I used the primerless urethane sealant/adhesive. Same stuff used when installing automotive glass.. the other nice thing about using urethane sealant is that you don’t have to cinch down (distortion) the screws securing the fairing along the bottom edge of the windshield.

Comment

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I screwed up and trimmed a bit too much out of a section of my windshield so I have a short section with about a 3/16” gap. Silicon or some other sealant won’t be the total solution for me. I’ll have to use some sort of trim seal in conjunction with a sealant.

So no one uses felt like Cessna or foam tape like Piper?
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I had a small gap near the left bottom corner of my windshield. Taped off the windshield and windshield fairing and applied the urethane sealant....actually did it on all of the windows at the same time. Then sealed up all of the glass. The only things left to do on the fuselage is applying Teflon wear tape to the boot cowl and door jamb where the cowl and doors might rub on the paint...then apply 3” wide clear Teflon tape like the stuff used on cars to prevent rock chips... those are going on the Oleo struts, and leading edge of the landing gear...

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
            Thanks guys. Unfortunately I screwed up and trimmed a bit too much out of a section of my windshield so I have a short section with about a 3/16” gap. Silicon or some other sealant won’t be the total solution for me. I’ll have to use some sort of trim seal in conjunction with a sealant.

So no one uses felt like Cessna or foam tape like Piper?
            The 3/16" gap probably won't be a problem for urethane sealant, it's tough stuff. An old log builder's saying is "Caulk don't work unless you've got a crack to put it in".

Comment

Along these lines - do you guys just set you windshield straight on the boot cowl or do you use some sort of cushion or tape to keep it from scratching up the paint there? I lost some paint just fitting the windshield a few times. Kind of annoying - granted it will all be covered by the fairing.
              Almost flying!

Comment

Ken mine is sitting straight on the boot cowl, albeit only a few inches of contact. I wanted to cushion it, but it meant trimming some away and that changes the whole fit again. Obviously it’s untested because I haven’t flown it yet. With the cushioned support brackets behind I’m quite comfortable with it.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• AKKen07
                  AKKen07 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Nev, guess I won't worry about it for now. Won't need to finalize that for a few months more than likely.

I use this a lot https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ichafetape.php
                Not just for paint protection but the windshield can squeak with small movements with vibration that drive me nuts. Mostly notice it on the ground.

Comment

• AKKen07
                  AKKen07 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfect - I happen to have that stuff already. Thanks!
              Working...
              X