Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on my Brake Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on my Brake Lines

Jared Yates stopped by a couple weeks ago to visit my build. He was very helpful and I am fortunate that he lives nearby.

One of the items we looked over were my brakes lines. Jared wondered if the loops at the pedals would be an issue. The left looped line could be shortened, I just wanted to provide for pedal travel. However, the looped line going into the tee is pretty much set.

I'm curious what others think.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

I think Jared is right. The high points in the loops will be places where air will get trapped making bleeding the brakes difficult or impossible. Also, the loops present opportunity for the lines to rub on stuff.

The isn't a need for so much extra line; the isn't that much motion in the master cylinders.

Note: Premade Aeroquip brake lines from Summit Racing a pretty affordable.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I would be concerned about the left-most loop snagging the brake pedal or my boot lace clips. Agree with the above comments about air bubbles and vibration.

I worked hard to keep mine in a loom, you can use elbows and such to make sure they are all pointing in the right direction.

See what you can in the images below, best I can find for now:
      IMG_20170123_211001_zpso4zrpiis.jpg
      Last edited by Battson; 11-19-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

There are several brands of Aeroquip type fittings, and Summit sells all of them. They are very easy to make up yourself using the "reuseable fittings". No crimping or swaging required. I am using them on my fuel tanks lines from the tank to the root rib, brakes master cylinders, and brake calipers to the hard lines in the struts.

Russell, Fragola, Earls, and Aeroquip all make similar stuff. Some are a bit cheaper than others.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
          I think Jared is right. The high points in the loops will be places where air will get trapped making bleeding the brakes difficult or impossible. Also, the loops present opportunity for the lines to rub on stuff.

The isn't a need for so much extra line; the isn't that much motion in the master cylinders.

Note: Premade Aeroquip brake lines from Summit Racing a pretty affordable.
          I totally agree with this post and I also used the premade lines from summit worked great

Comment

I have used a company TSFlightlines to make custom length lines, both brake and fuel lines. Tom does excellent work and stands behind his products. If you send him the lengths you want he can make them very quickly. He made the fuel and brake lines for my RV. I can't recommend him enough.

Scott Ahrens
            Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

The lines you see are the "reusable" type, so I can shorten or modify as necessary. No problem there. My purpose for this post was to get thoughts on the loops. Whee and Battson helped with that. Will there be air or a fluid settlement / back draining issue. Thanks! Somehow I have to determine what is an acceptable vertical flow or loop issue. How much is too much? The brake lines are more vertical than not... Gear legs, firewall, etc...
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

For me, the trick to avoiding loops was actually making the lines longer. While this is counter-intuitive, it allowed the lines to be staighter and bend more gradually.

Comment

• robcaldwell
                  robcaldwell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like that line of thinking! (No pun intended). I will work on "flattening" these lines. Thanks!

I liked that fact you are using steel braided lines, those are what I plan to use for break lines.

Comment

I suggest considering changing a few fittings to help with alignment and then adjust the length as needed. For example on the left pedal of the right set of pedals, you might consider changing the fitting to a 90 degree and then clock the line so it conforms to the shape of the line going to the right pedal. It is a little hard to say from the photo but you need some excess to allow for full pedal travel and that right line looks about right. It also appears that left line is rubbing on the line coming out the bottom of that cylinder. The change above would address you could also shortening that crossover line to a more straight routing.

I hope that makes sense.
                  Scott Ahrens
                  Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

• robcaldwell
                    robcaldwell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think I understand what you are saying. I'm just going to re-do all of the pedal plumbing and try to flatten the runs out.
                Working...
                X