Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intercom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercom

I plan to install a Trig com radio in my instrument panel. It has an intercom, but I understand that the quality of it is just OK.

So, I am researching purpose built panel mount intercom systems that would improve the quality of communications between the pilot and passenger in a Patrol. Does anyone have an intercom experience and recommendations? I am looking at PS Engineering's PM3000 product or their PM1200, but open to other products. Spending more for good quality communications is ok, and I have no experience in the last 20 years using an intercom.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

PS engineering makes great stuff, can’t really go wrong with them.

I hate to be one of those guys that doesn’t answer the question your asking but I’d suggest installing a radio that has a good intercom. Garmins GTR200 has an awesome built in intercom with their really cool 3D sound. The MGL V16 is new but so far reports are excellent in regulars to its intercom.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Flightcom 403Mc Panel Mount Intercom The 403 is a 6-place panel mount, voice-activated stereo intercom. This easy to use intercom is designed to fit almost anywhere in the panel.

we have had a unit very similar to this guy in our Citabria and it has worked flawlessly for as long as we’ve had it (22 yrs now?). If you are also considering another integrated radio/icom I’ve been looking at the mgl options (v6 for 4 place).
      Almost flying!

Comment

I have used the PS Engineering intercom in a couple planes. Is very good equipment. They make one model for noisy environments (only 2 place) that you might consider. Mark

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Mark....Thats the PM1200 model. That feedback helps.

I especially liked that the pm3000 allowed for switch-controlled separate back seat intercom in the 4-place. I removed it to install the par100ex, which includes its own remote com and bluetooth, and I like it even better. It has all the same features and more.

Comment

Originally posted by AKKen07 View Post
          https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog...htcom403mc.php
          we have had a unit very similar to this guy in our Citabria and it has worked flawlessly for as long as we’ve had it (22 yrs now?). If you are also considering another integrated radio/icom I’ve been looking at the mgl options (v6 for 4 place).
          If you are considering the MGL V6 or V10 I’d read the reviews closely. I think the vans forum has several threads about them. Also consider sending the owner of MGL (the guy in S Africa not the guy in Cali) an email and ask about the radios. I think you’ll determine the V16 is the way to go if your wanting a MGL radio.

Comment

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Whee, I’ll look into it!

Whee,
          I have a Sigtronics panel-mount unit in the “for sale” section. I was very pleased with it for several years and it worked perfectly when I removed it from airplane #1. I liked it so much that I installed an identical unit in my Bearhawk 4-place.

Comment

Originally posted by AKKen07 View Post
            https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog...htcom403mc.php
            We flew with the Flightcom 403 for a while, but I had to turn the squelch down every takeoff, then back up after first bringing the prop back. The PM3000 was much better equipped to handle the extreme cabin noise, and the intercom integral to the PAR100EX is at least as good if not better. It doesn't even have a squelch knob.

Comment

I’ll second...or is it turd it? The PS3000. Uses shielded wire, jacks are isolated...not grounded to the aircraft. I believe you’ll need to add it to your start up check list.... don’t turn it on until after engine start. Has a remote jack for music input. Recommend installing a back up set of headset jacks for the pilot...for that just incase it fails.. pretty sure it’s spelled out in the wiring diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post

We flew with the Flightcom 403 for a while, but I had to turn the squelch down every takeoff, then back up after first bringing the prop back. The PM3000 was much better equipped to handle the extreme cabin noise, and the intercom integral to the PAR100EX is at least as good if not better. It doesn't even have a squelch knob.
                This is true, never bothered me but in our plane as well the squelch does need adjusting here ‘n there as mentioned.
                Almost flying!

Comment

I've looked hard at the MGL V16, but the intercom is listed on their website as only for 2. I sent them an e-mail just yesterday about it being 4.

Comment

• AKKen07
                    AKKen07 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’d like to know what you hear back!

I have thePS Engineering PA200A installed in my RV and have had good performance
                  Scott Ahrens
                  Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                    I especially liked that the pm3000 allowed for switch-controlled separate back seat intercom in the 4-place. I removed it to install the par100ex, which includes its own remote com and bluetooth, and I like it even better. It has all the same features and more.
                    I’m with you on that. I have this one (PM3000) in the Maule, and it’s great when I have to disable a couple of young chatterboxes in the back seats
                    Christopher Owens
                    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Keep talking..... I'm learning!! This thread opened my mind to MGL as a viable option in more ways than just an intercom. Lots to learn and understand about bluetooth, remote com selection, etc.
                      Brooks Cone
                      Southeast Michigan
                      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Brooks, I don't know what you overall avionics plan is so I'm not sure that much of my opinion will apply. I owned a 2-place airplane for 10 years and personally I don't see a need for a separate intercom and the features they offer in a 2-plane airplane. There are radios with fantastic built in intercoms so IMO you should be shopping for those; actually I'd be buying a Garmin GTR200. If you want bluetooth the GTR200B has it or you can put a bluetooth adapter in the 3.5mm aux jack of whatever radio/intercom you install. But I'm not sure I see a need for built in bluetooth on a 2-place airplane.

Many EFISs can connect with Garmin radios and at least partially control them remotely. The V16 can emulate several Garmin radios which means any EFIS than can control a Garmin can control the MGL V16. My Grand Rapids EFIS is connected to my V16 which I have set to emulate an SL40. I personally find it easier to dial up the frequency right on the radio but it's kinda cool that it can be done on the efis too.

Tell us what you want and we'll help you spend your money

Comment

Working...
                        X