Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Uncertain Future of the Bearhawk Calendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Uncertain Future of the Bearhawk Calendar

I've just gotten a notice from the printer who has made the Bearhawk Calendar for the past 10 years at least. They are increasing the cost of each calendar by $4 for orders after October 1 of this year. This leaves us a few options that I can think of. Please feel free to provide input. Personally, I don't think a $19 calendar would be on my shopping list.
    Make the 2020 calendar a little early, without the option for back-orders at the usual price
    31.03%
    Perhaps make a 2021 calendar this fall and have it printed in reserve (my wife's genius idea)
    6.90%
    Stick to the usual schedule and increase the price from the old $15 shipped to $19
    55.17%
    Retire the calendar, since lots of folks don't use paper calendars anymore anyway.
    17.24%

How about shopping it out to a few other printers? Might not hurt to have a couple other quotes?

Comment

Agree with above, how many copies do you typically make? I think I’d still buy the calendar...
      Almost flying!

Comment

I would by at the 20 or less price point.
        That said I have missed the last few years availability announcement. So put me down for a 2020 if it happens!

Comment

By should be purchase!

Comment

I'd pay the $19. I have a selfish reason too. I want to eventually like to see my BH in the calendar!

Comment

Jared, I think you are right to suggest retiring the calendar. It's a shame and a little wasteful to throw these wonderful colour printed images away after just 30 days each.

May I gently suggest selling posters instead of calendars in future, if you are keen to keep offering printed media? Perhaps printed in larger sizes (with higher value) and made to last?
              This could have the added sideline benefit of advertising Bearhawk Aircraft, you could put the logo in the corner.

I have shamelessly stolen this idea from a much better business mind than my own. BackcountryPilot.org is doing this at the moment, and they appear to have good interest and uptake from the community.

Seeing as I pinched their idea, here's a plug. You can purchase these at BCP if anyone is interested....
              BCP-chugach-proof-1.jpg

Comment

The intrinsic benefits of pleasant Bearhawk images randomly and strategically placed can not be measured. It may be priceless promotion of the product. Poster, or Calendar. There is NO way of knowing how such an image might plant a seed, or help usher the project to completion. Thats a beautiful shot, Battson.
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Me personally would not buy posters. But I don't have a problem with a $19 calendar that helps support the Bearhawk community (and I come with a frugal slant). I surely don't want to see the calendar retired, I keep all the old ones and occasionally go back and look at them for ideas as well as inspiration, etc.

Comment

I like the calendar. I like seeing all the other planes. I would pay $19 but shopping around a bit would be a good idea.

Comment

Just an Idea....why not contact aircraft spruce..garmin....other sellers....to offer coupons/coupon codes in the calendar.......or discounts around airventure......2 for 1 beers at the restaurants around airventure/sun and fun..lots of restaurants/businesses in those towns love to have tourists come in an drop some coins.....etc......it is an official publication for the bearhawk...starts small ...might have us fighting to get one...

not right now...but if you move enough calendars...potential companies will pay you to get in on the action...
                      Last edited by way_up_north; 06-21-2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• jaredyates
                        jaredyates commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is a good idea, but so far my requests have been met with only the sound of crickets. If anyone has some personal connections that can make it happen, I'd love to get some advertising in the calendar, Beartracks, etc.

Jared - what is the average "total" quantity of calendars printed each year?

Comment

• jaredyates
                        jaredyates commented
                        Editing a comment
                        100-120 is typical

If you quit producing the calendar, I will have to sell my project. Seeing all of the beautiful completed Bearhawks hanging in my garage is what keeps me going!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input! The new calendars are in production and ready for pre-order: https://bearhawkstore.com/product/2020-calendar
                        When next year comes around we'll shop around to see if we can find a new printer, and if not, we'll offer them at the higher price.

Comment

The cover shot on that calendar is inspiring!

Comment

Working...
                          X