Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing Tapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Tapes

I'm having a hard time deciding what width to use for tapes over the stringers and the longerons. Either 3" longerons and 2" stringers, or 2" longerons and 1" stringers. Realize it an aesthetics questions, would like thoughts on what others have done and if you like the result.

I used 1" on the stringers, and I'll say that it is a lot harder to keep the 1" tape straight compared to the 2". But then again the only people who think to check if your tapes are straight are the folks who have applied tapes, and they'd never tell you if they thought they were wiggly.

Comment

Just curious who has good selection of quality finishing tapes. Thanks

Comment

I,ve been using Superflite medium weight from Stewarts. They also sell Ceconite tapes

Comment

I used 3” and 2” tapes and like it.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
            I used 1" on the stringers, and I'll say that it is a lot harder to keep the 1" tape straight compared to the 2". But then again the only people who think to check if your tapes are straight are the folks who have applied tapes, and they'd never tell you if they thought they were wiggly.
            I also went for 2" longerons and 1" stringers. Lighter

They are pretty easy to keep straight on the stringers, you have a straight edge to follow. Longerons are harder with the bends and angles. I think they look good.

In two places the stringer tapes got damaged from outside (from rocks I think, or hangar rash), I had to do a repair. The repair was easier with a small tape, less to work upon and a smaller fix once the new tape was applied. Because the paint had aged after 5 years, the new paint is brighter and having a smaller repair made this less obvious.
            Last edited by Battson; 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I did 3" on the longerons and 2" on the stringers. I like that look.
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Completed the fuselage inside and out, ready for spraying. I ended up going with 2" tapes on the stringers and top longerons and 3" on lower longerons. The way the fabric overlaps, on the side view you see a similar width of tape top and bottom. I was looking at a factory Carbon Cub the other day and was surprised to see no finishing tapes on the side stringers, didn't check the top or bottom. The 1st picture shows 1" wide copper foil radials for the ELT antenna groundplane installed underside of fabric and secured with 2" finishing tapes. Did the same on the bottom for the com antenna.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Looks Great!
                  Rob Caldwell
                  Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
                  EAA Chapter 309
                  Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
                  YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
                  1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
                  X