Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim cable and aileron carry through turn buckle rubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim cable and aileron carry through turn buckle rubbing

Try as I may, I cannot keep the trim cable from rubbing on the aileron carry through turn buckle. I've routed the trim cable below the carry through turn buckle and above the carry through turn buckle with no success either way. I am certainly open to suggestions on this.

Terry

Haven't got there yet but had heard of this potential issue. My plan is to offset the turn-buckle.

Comment

Offset the turnbuckle, and if it still occasionally rubs, slip a length of nylaflow tubing over the aileron cable. I added a fairlead there for the trim cable.

Comment

Offset the turn buckle -. I can now see how that is a remedy but Ugh, doesn't that mean redoing the entire carry through cable?

Comment

Originally posted by TrueAirSpeed View Post
          Offset the turn buckle -. I can now see how that is a remedy but Ugh, doesn't that mean redoing the entire carry through cable?
          You will only have to remake half. The other half can be shortened. Probably a 20-30 minute job.

Comment

I had the same issue. Had to replace one of the cables with a longer one and shorten the other. While you are at it slip a piece of nylaflow tubing on the cable on the side that rubs the trim cables. I tried swaging the new cable to the old to pull the new one through while pulling the old cable out. That didn't work, it wouldn't fit through the fairleads. I think I ended up taping the two cables together and gently pulling them through. I think it took longer to accept the fact that I had to do it than it actually took to replace the cable.
            Rollie VanDorn
            Findlay, OH
            Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Does this scenario affect all BH models, or only 4-Place A models? Wondering if this was modified on the 4-Place B model?
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

This is a common issue on all the models. If you do not put the turnbuckle on the aileron carry through cable where the trim cable is - you might be OK. There can still be rubbing. As others have said - Bob puts a piece of nylon tubing on the aileron carry though cable there. I have used a small piece of nylon to lift up (or push down a little) the aileron carry though cable. I have attached it in place with an Adel clamp. So there are a couple ways of solving this. Mark

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. I think I fixed the problem after loosing a couple hours sleep over it. We'll see what the DAR says.

Terry

Comment

I am not sure about mine yet, but friction on the aileron cable is undesirable, but friction on the trim cable is actually desirable I think. My choice will be to offset the trim cable and leave the aileron cables untouched.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                      Mark Goldberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In theory you are 100% correct. But what I did with a small nylon rub block did not increase friction as far as I could feel. If it did I would have removed it and looked for another solution. The deflection of the cable was just a tiny amount. Just enough to clear the other. Mark

I installed a piece of wire loom over the trim cables, it rolls as the turnbuckle goes over it. Not much interference at all.

Comment

I’m looking at my cable rub issue right now. In my rig the front trim fairlead holds the trim cables down into the aileron cables. If I saw this coming a year ago I would have raised that fairlead 3/8”-1/2” and the cables would not touch nor be changed in any significant way. Just FYI for anyone early in their build and interested in a minor welding project. Would take an hour.
                      Almost flying!

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                        Mark Goldberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It is also easy to use Adel clamp or two to hold a nylon rub block to keep aileron carry through cable separated from trim cables. Mark

Something else you might want to keep in mind is if you are installing shoulder harness. Keep it out of the way of the aileron cable also. I didn't think about that and when I ran my cable the harness retractors were in the way of the cable so I had to build standoffs to clear the cable. JUST A THOUGHT.

Comment

Working...
                      X