Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lord Isolators - What is the correct orientation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord Isolators - What is the correct orientation?

I (finally) received the correct Lord Isolators for my IO-540 with the Type 2 mounting ears (2" ID) for the Type 2 Dynafocal...

Does anyone know how these are to be oriented to the ears and mount? The gold colored piece is smaller in thickness (1 3/8") and the silver colored piece is 1/4" thicker (1 5/8"). I am assuming gold colored piece goes on the engine side along with the big washer as I have mocked up here? You would think they would send instructions. There's certainly a reason for the difference in sizes.

IMG_1894.JPGIMG_1895.JPG

EDIT 7-15-2019: Based on the conversation below, the orientation above is wrong. Please read the discussion in this thread as we sort out this under documented topic.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by robcaldwell; 07-15-2019, 07:14 AM.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Refer to this VAF thread.
    While I am a ways past my engine mount, an article I was reading in Kit Magazine about hanging an engine gave me pause. It indicated the dynafocal pads are of different densities and there was a correct orientation for the mounting discs. The different densities are reflected with a gold or...

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      The discussion in this VAF thread is incorrect. Please read through the discussion below for the correct orientation.

I contacted Lord and they sent me this diagram. Very helpful.

J-9613-12.png
    Attached Files
    Rob Caldwell
    EAA Chapter 309
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      That shows that it does matter which mount goes inside or outside. The VAF thread there were two opinions, one of which said it didn't matter.

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I came to the same conclusion. It is very odd to me that these isolators are shipped with zero detail as to how they are to be oriented. Furthering that, the speculation in threads from VAF and others do not help. I have to say, the engine mounting process has been a complete fiasco for me. Between Lycoming's ineptness in understanding their own mounting ears, and the isolator manufacturers (both Lord and Barry) incomplete details has literally removed 6 weeks off my build time. This, I never expected.

• Bdflies
      Bdflies commented
      Editing a comment
      Studying the diagram more, I saw something I'd missed previously.
      Section A-A is the top mount, which places the 'ridged' isolator on the engine side.
      Section B-B is the lower mount, which places the 'ridged' isolator on the mount side.
      Seems they want the 'ridged' (gold) part to be in compression at 1G.
      Can’t see from your pics, but I assume 7763-1 is molded onto the Gold one and 9612-8 is on the Silver part.

Scratch my bird comment below.
      Last edited by Bdflies; 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM.

It’s been my impression that the one with the "ridge" on it, is oriented between the engine and the mount. I wasn’t aware that the bases were different colors. But there ya go!

I do like the diagram from Lord! If I had a bird, it would be useful!

Bill
    Last edited by Bdflies; 07-11-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Rob,
      Thanks for posting that. It went into my build folder!
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Here is a discussion I posted reviewing my engine mounting dilemma.

Rob Caldwell
        EAA Chapter 309
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rob, always learning a lot from watching your videos.

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          Rob, your video was very revealing. Thanks for sharing it.

When you are confident that all your hardware and parts are correct, can you document a parts list for our group? ...along with the torque value that your AN7 bolts get tightened to? I imagine that the compressible mounts would accommodate several different length bolts if they get torqued down to a "wrong" value. An industry best practice might include a sticky to document this information for different applications like the Patrol, LSA, and 4 cylinder Four Place. BTW, I think I got some non-Lord type engine mount isolators with my Kit from Mark G.

• robcaldwell
          robcaldwell commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do. I plan to torque the AN7's to the values in AC 43.13 for that size bolt.

Ridge side always goes in compression.
        If you have it backwards, your isolators wont last as long before the engine sags.

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          4 made for compression, 4 for tension. Makes sense. Almost makes me think $800 dollars for 8 pieces of rubber was worth it. Well, maybe not.

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          Rob, the isolator, in your pictures, with the gold plate has a small Protrusion, just about the middle of the height of the rubber donut, forming a 'ridge' around the circumference. The ridge is depicted in the drawing. This characteristic is what we’re referring to as the "ridged" isolator. It’s noticeable if you compare the rubber of the gold one vs the silver one.
          The "ridged" isolator is the J-7763-1
          Last edited by Bdflies; 07-14-2019, 10:32 PM.

• robcaldwell
          robcaldwell commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok great. That was my conclusion from the drawing and how I explained it in the video. Thought I was missing something, again. Thanks!

This video helps to understand the orientation https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jcM2x_g7wf4
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• robcaldwell
          robcaldwell commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent verification!

I just got back after a few weeks away and double checked my mounts. I have a Type I mount (O-540) so my mounts are different. Lord J-3804-20. I see no difference between the two halves. Same color, same thickness. One is not ridged, and both are the same color, gold. The rubber parts have the same part number molded into them.

Just for the fun of it I made sure the engine ears, Lord mounts, and engine mount all fit together.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
          Gerhard Rieger commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, are your engine mounting braket hole 2” or 1&3/8” ?

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not sure. It is all mounted up. I am assuming you are talking about the "ears" on the engine. I don't think I can measure it unless I am looking at the wrong part.
      Working...
      X