Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynon EDC-10A Remote Compass Harness - DIY...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynon EDC-10A Remote Compass Harness - DIY...

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has made their own harness for their Dynon EDC-10A Remote compass (the older style that doesn't work with Skyview)

The Dynon product is 18ft long, which I feel will be too short to make it out to the wing tip where I was going to put my compass, so I'm going to make my own.

1) Dynon can't tell me any part numbers for the d-sub connectors that they use themselves, but suggest they should be non-magnetic. If anyone has the dynon-made harness on hand, can you tell me if there are any obvious manufacturers or part numbers on them? I can start googling with a bit of a lead :-)

2) I'm really thinking the whole non-magnetic thing is over-stated - should I just get some generic d-sub connectors from the internet and solder them in?

Don't worry, I'm writing all these notes down, and once I get this whole Dynon system up and running, I'll share my hard-won experience with you all :-)

Thanks in advance,

James
    The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

I flew with crimped on d-sub connectors on two of those boxes and even used a d-sub housing with metal in it. I'm such a rebel! But as far as I know it all turned out ok.

Comment

I have used both the crimped and soldered D-sub for my avionics. I prefer the soldered. The D-sub shells I bought online were junk. Metal and very heavy. Probably avionics suppliers would probably have better ones.

Comment

I used shielded wire, cant remember how many strands, and used the crimped D sub 9 pin connectors at the wing root, one male and one female of course and another 9 pin at the magnetometer. I fed the OAT into the harness to come back to the D unit. Prob was in the wing just inboard of the strut fitting for protection. The prob wires reached the location of the magnetometer and was spliced it at that point. Was told by Dynon as long as you use a shielded connector all is well with making a custom harness.

Comment

I have a Dynon Remote Magnatometer located aft of the rear baggage bulkhead overhead. Very inert area and not effected by fuselage tubing or control cable movement. Used the Dynon cable which was too long.
          shortened cable, used plastic shelled connectors from
          Steinair.

Comment

Yeah, thanks for all the insights, guys - it sort of confirms what I suspected all along, especially the presence of metal in the connectors. I want to put the remote compass in the wing, because I've already run the shielded wire through the jig holes.

I'm probably going to go for Amphenol M24308/2-1Fs, I like the idea of crimped connectors because whenever I solder anything, it looks beautiful, but two of the wires are always soldered to the wrong contacts :-)

At this rate, I should be able to save about $100 on the cost of the harness. I'll let you know how I go

Thanks again,

James

The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              By far my #1 shop tool, used the most in my shop, is reading glasses. I can read in most light without them. I have 1.5's, 3.0's, and I just got some 4.5's.
              This is the first time I ever used reading glasses to solder wires - wow what a difference. My welding got a whole lot better as well.

The D-sub crimps are similar to other crimps I've done a bunch of, just a lot smaller. I can't crimp them without - at least 3.0 reading glasses.

I spliced the Dynon cable, and some other connections, with Deutsch Connectors. They're lightweight and water proof. http://www.deutschconnector.com/prod...ch_connectors/

I like the DTM series and can get them on Amazon from 1 to 12 pins. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            Rob Caldwell
            Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
            EAA Chapter 309
            Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
            YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
            1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
              I spliced the Dynon cable, and some other connections, with Deutsch Connectors. They're lightweight and water proof. http://www.deutschconnector.com/prod...ch_connectors/

I like the DTM series and can get them on Amazon from 1 to 12 pins. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              Though automotive connectors can be quite good, keep in mind that many (most?) are rated for about 4 matings. So long as you keep that in mind and don't wear them out, it is likely fine.

Comment

Working...
            X