Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oops...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops...

Does anybody know a way to fill a hole in aluminum sheet (About the size of a #40 drill...) for appearance only? Epoxy? For bigger screw-ups Can it be filled with weld to then be redrilled for a rivet? I just can’t bring myself to remake this part ... again. All non-structural boot cowl stuff.
    Almost flying!

You could always put a rivet in the hole. Mark

Comment

That's never happened to me. Oh, wait a minute...!

I cut a piece of aluminum slightly larger than the hole. Stuck it to the back side of the hole with DP190 Scotch Weld Epoxy with enough to squeeze through the hole. Once it fully cured (takes about a week) sand it down.

3M DP190 Scotch Weld Epoxy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• AKKen07
        AKKen07 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like it! Thank you Rob

No welding is allowed on the heat-treated aluminum. Dimple and set a flush rivet like Mark says, and come up with a good story. Like something about how the rivet marks 13.25 inches forward of the datum for easier measurements later.

Comment

• AKKen07
        AKKen07 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know about the welding. That might work in some spots... not that I have more than one mistake so far... but not the one I’m thinking of. Very entertaining idea for “explaining” the err- um oddity.
        Last edited by AKKen07; 10-09-2019, 03:00 AM.

Cover a piece of aluminum with electrical tape and place it over the finished side of the hole.(If the whole is near the edge of the boot cowl, clamp it. If in the middle put the aluminum/tape on a bench place the cowl on top and and put wrights around the hole.) From the back side put a dollop of JB weld on the hole. When dry remove the aluminum piece. With a little luck the font side will be as smooth as glass. You can sand the back side down some but the more you can leave the more secure the plug will be,

John Ciolino
      Patrol

Comment

• AKKen07
        AKKen07 commented
        Editing a comment
        That could work, Thanks!

Just put a flush rivet in there.

Comment

• AKKen07
        AKKen07 commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately the flush rivet shop end would interfere with another part sitting flush on the back side.

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
      No welding is allowed on the heat-treated aluminum. Dimple and set a flush rivet like Mark says, and come up with a good story. Like something about how the rivet marks 13.25 inches forward of the datum for easier measurements later.
      Exactly! "If you can't fix it, feature it."
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
      X