Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jonathan Battson wins the STOL competition again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still say that these contests should be scored based on the longest/worst single take-off or landing. That is the shortest runway you could have operated from that day. We don't normally do stop and goes; we taxi back to the beginning. ...and a DQ would mean just that because you "bent your airplane" for that day.

As an alternative to "max gross", class based on payload carried. It doesn't have to be max gross.

Comment

• zkelley2
      zkelley2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya, payload carried is probably better. I like the longest T/O landing is your score idea also and a single DQ means you're done.

One of the more real contests that I participated in many years ago was a engine off spot landing contest. We would cross mid field and shut of the engine and dead sticked it in to a chock line in the middle of a 3000 foot gravel airfield.
    Power performance Aircraft type or Money -- none mattered just how good you are and how well you know and handle your plane.
    Not Only a fun contest, it may just help hone the skill that could save your bacon one day if you ever have a engine quit on you.

A way Max gross contests with Ceritified aircraft may result in a bunch of bend Landing gear Them wings stall a lot more aggressive at higher weight with a further aft C of G.
    Anyone with a up gross kit would not even need to come to the starting line. On the other hand any homebuilder could limit max weight for a competition plane to gain a very unfair advantage.
    Better leave well enough alone.

Comment

I really do like the idea that if you DQ (by landing short) you're out of the contest... As you would be "out of luck" if you did that going into a tree-lined backcountry strip...
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Any kind of flying contest that includes any kind of precision landing invites a lot of buffoonery. I am surprised the landing portion of the STOL comps aren't more colorful than they are. I guess for the most of them the cost of the engine and prop, trumps winning the landing contest.

You should see a bunch of highly skilled hang glider pilots risk their necks (literally) on a spot landing contest. I have only watched them in person, but I bet they are on youtube.

I think the Navy got one thing right. They grade every pass at the boat. You are graded not so much for the landing itself (you don't flare), but for the approach. A well flown,stabilized, accurate approach almost guarantees a good, accurate landing. Your approach is graded, your landing is just noted.

Comment

I just watched a bit of the latest Oshkosh STOL stuff. It made me cringe. Even the top guys. I won't name names. If you want to watch a skilled pilot fly STOL, watch Jon Battson. His Comp approaches are beautiful, stabilized, approaches. The same, every time.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            You are too kind; we all have bad days - the trick is not to save the video

Keep in mind Oshkosh is a spectator sport. There are better venues for real competitors - Toby Ashley, Bruce Kingston, Jay Stanford- guys that land in the same spot every time.
          Like you said, the Navy does it right.

A good friend will tell you that to be good you have to shoot spot landings every day, for at least an hour solid. Miss one day and it’s the same as missing a week. Do it every day and you’ll nail it.

Comment

Well done Jonathan

Comment

Working...
            X