Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uncovered landing gear struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncovered landing gear struts

Is anyone flying with uncovered landing gear struts ? What is the drag penalty in the cruise ?
    Besides additional drag are there any other pros or cons ?
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

I haven't covered mine... yet. So I don't know what the drag penalty might be, though I'd guess it's a lot. On 8.00 tires, it still does 130KTAS.
    Cons are access to the brake line I guess. Also in the very long term, visual inspection for corrosion, but that's not where they're likely to corrode.

Comment

There must be a penalty, but I've yet to hear anyone complain.

In practice, you'd probably burn an extra 1.5 litres of AVGAS per hour and go the same speed anyway. So you need to know exact power settings to compare between setups.

Theoretically it does make some difference.... the Bearhawk undercarriage with 8.00 tires is probably more than 10% of the total aircraft drag, before you up-size to bushwheels.
      A round body has approximately ten times more drag than an aerofoil (all other variables being equal). Every other surface on the aircraft is streamlined / aerofoil shaped for obvious reasons. However, area is equally important as drag. They are quite skinny legs compared to the rest of the plane.

For reference, a bare wheel about 8.00 size has a Drag Coefficient of about 0.25.

​​​

The only material advantage I can think of is weight savings. Probably a few pounds at least.

A word on streamlining elsewhere. I think that putting fairings on the leg and strut interfaces to the wings and fuselage, well - that's extra weight. If you were leaving the legs uncovered... every gram must be important. I guess you might not bother with all those fairings either.

I think it is best decided by personal preference and mission.

Comment

Do a search over on Supercub.org and Backcountrypilot.org sites. Some have looked at it quite a bit, seems to range as I recall about 1-4 knots on airplanes that are only flying 70-90 knots.

Comment

I guess if depends on what you plan on doing with your plane. If it is a cross country cruiser then lower drag is more important. If you are on 31's, you might not notice the drag, but probably want to keep the weight down. I am no where that I can measure it but I am guessing both gear legs are less than 1 sq yard of fabric, combined. Even heavy fabric and paint should be only a bit under a pound. The other side of the spectrum would be Oratex at about 4 oz combined for both gear legs.

If I were building a cross country plane I would make the gear legs airfoil shaped with ribs, and install wheel pants. I already covered my gear legs, but I am not sure if I would bother next time.
        Last edited by svyolo; 05-04-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          You would likely also cut off the steel fairings, if you didn't cover the gear legs and wanted weight savings. Hence my higher guesstimate of the weight.

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't even think of cutting off the aft steel fairings. That would make the weight savings even better. Had I thought of it, that might have been my choice.
          Last edited by svyolo; 05-05-2020, 09:05 AM.

Will the weight saved by leaving the fairings off be less than the weight of the extra fuel that must be carried to accommodate the drag increase?

I'm not a backcountry guy, but why do Cub guys leave the gear uncovered? I believe its to eliminate possible damage item and improve dispatch reliability. Then I wonder if bare gear legs for reliability grows to becomes a fashion statement. Thats ok, too. I like fashion.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-05-2020, 07:12 PM. Reason: Speling
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          A fantastic comment about the weight of fuel, Brooks.

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a pretty hard time trying to argue with that logic Brooks.

• Rollie
          Rollie commented
          Editing a comment
          Cubs don't really need to streamline anything. Drag goes up exponentially as speed increases and since Cubs don't have any speed, they don't have any drag. Cleaning it up aerodynamically becomes more important at higher speeds.

I have to say that the gear legs experience almost zero damage during off airport work. It should last longer than the tail wing coverings, provided you are not regularly landing on brush. Let alone driftwood - I highly dangerous act, in all respects.

Comment

I would not worry about airfoils and coverings below a 100 mph cruise speed.

Above that the whole world changes. When we fly external loads that is the magic number. My maule on 31s would still do 145 MPH at 7500 feet and there it does matter a fair bit.

All depends on how much gas you want to burn The BH is a clean bird its a shame to wast the efficiency designed into it.

Comment

Looking at the SuperCub.org threads - e.g. https://www.supercub.org/forum/archi...p/t-29416.html there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for leaving them uncovered, other than looks.

Comment

• Gerd Mannsperger
              Gerd Mannsperger commented
              Editing a comment
              The Bearhawks will never have the real cool look anyway as it is to difficult to mount a Gunn boot to the single strut
          Working...
          X