Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sds efi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what it looks like with the header tank, pumps, and pitch servo under my left seat. The servo can be removed without removing any fuel lines or the pumps. The tank will be strapped down. I welded support and anchoring provisions under the tank and pumps. Yes, the airframe welding looks much better than my tank welding. As a note, remember to keep your magnets well away from your Tig arc. I forgot this and was having a heck of a time figuring out why I was having so many difficulties welding the aluminum tank. Its a good thing the tank is under the seat where I will not have to look at the hideous welds all the time. The good news is that there were no leaks after several days with fuel in the tank or during testing with air with the tank submerged in water.

I will likely use a flex hose to connect the tank outlet to the the primary filter. That will make servicing the filer easier. Except for the Andair supply valve the only quick 90 degree turn in the unpressurized side of the fuel supply is at the Tee near the front of the door on each side. The left side has a -8 line from the aft tank fitting all the way to the valve and the right side is still -6 but the Tee changes to -8 for the line to the valve and the interior of the fitting is less restrictive. I am also using a -8 line from the valve to the header tank. I expect the valve will be the most restrictive part of the whole system.

I used low temperature alloy to fill the tubes for making the compound curves from the Tee around the fame and to the supply valve. It works but is still difficult, especially with the large -8 lines. It tends to leave some residue behind so a good brushing is in order.

I have a separate return valve that will normally return fuel to the header tank. I can also return fuel to either of the main tanks which will allow me to transfer fuel should I desire or to return fuel to the tank I am taking it from. Returning only to the header tank would be much easier. I also have a 60 PSI check valve in between the return line just before the return valve. it runs to the header tank return. This valve opens at a tested 62 PSI and should prevent any over pressures if the return valve is placed in a position that block the flow such as Off or an in between position. Theoretically if the fuel pressure regulator were to fail (unlikely) the return valve could be turned off and the check valve might regulate the fuel pressure enough to keep the engine running.

I also plan to add a vent between the main tanks and to connect the vent from the header tank to that vent line.

All in all this is matches my original system drawing. The location of th filters makes it easy to service them. Any leaks should be smelled on pre-flight and blue stains should be easy to see. I plan to place an aluminum angle behind the tank and pumps to act as a physical protection for them and to also create a dam for any fuel leaks. This dammed in area will have a drain to the outside.
    Attached Files

Comment

For what it's worth I finished testing the pump with the regulator plumbed near by and returning to the inlet. I measured at 1GPH as a worst case, took a while to dial it in but I got there. In still air I saw a 25.5F increase in the fuel temperature at steady state (ambient/fuel 75.4F and outlet temp 100.9F after 1/2 hour). For pump gas with an RVP of 9 (highest you'll find) the boiling point is at least 127F. I don't see a descent at 1GPH for 30+ minutes with fuel that's 100+ degrees, I recall decent flow rates being on the order of 2.5-3 GPH at least in my flights recently. That's all worst case too, RVP in most gas will be lower as a matter of course, and flow rates will be higher in the real-world. Anyway, figured I'd share the results of my not-at-all-a-fire-hazard backyard test.

2.PNG
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. How did you control the 1 GPH?

Never mind. I opened the picture. That also answers my other question. Nice.

So, 18 hours into the test flying on the “new tolerance” over haul and that engine is toast. I’ve now sourced a replacement but it’s ex a Cherokee Arrow and has fuel injection …. Any comments or advice on Lycoming IO 360 C1C in a 4 place B model?
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Bissetg View Post
        So, 18 hours into the test flying on the “new tolerance” over haul and that engine is toast. I’ve now sourced a replacement but it’s ex a Cherokee Arrow and has fuel injection …. Any comments or advice on Lycoming IO 360 C1C in a 4 place B model?
        What happened?

Comment

Long story but it ate its rings…. What I’m up to now is plumbing a fuel pump into the system. I presume that the place to do that is between the gascolator and the firewall and not in front of the firewall.

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear the engine woes Grant.
            I plumbed mine between the gascolator and the fuel flow transducer, aft of the firewall.

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            I also did what Nev did. I went from the selector to the gasco, prefilter, pump, fuel flow, firewall.

Thanks Nev, that’s my plan now. I hope to be in the air again soon!

Comment

I have been considering an SDS EFI for a Lycoming 360 or 390 for my Companion QB. So, I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. I had been thinking about a header tank but have a lot concerns about placement, the fuel quantity in the passenger area, et. As an alternative to a header tank, I have been thinking about is bringing the return line back to a 4 position duplex valve and replacing the Ts (where the two ports of each tank tie together) with crosses so the return fuel would mix with fuel coming from the tank. This would eliminate the need for a return all the way up to the tank and would give an escape for any air that might be in the system. Hopefully, the return fuel would dissipate heat traveling back through the valve and to the cross and the mixing at the cross would cool it more. Is this a viable plan? What are some of the flaws in my thinking?
            Roger
            QB Companion C-9
            N51RK

Comment

Have you read the SDS installation manual? I think it covers why your method won’t work. If you still have questions I suggest emailing Ross. He’s great and happy to help.
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks whee. I have not seen a manual, just the info on the website. I will email Ross. Thanks
                Roger
                QB Companion C-9
                N51RK

Comment

I will see if I can find the link to the manual. The SDS website is terrible, like it was made in 1999 .
                  Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks whee. I found a link to the EM-6 manual.
                    View and Download SDS EM-6 manual online. EM-6 gps pdf manual download. Also for: Em-6-d, Em-6-f.
                    Roger
                    QB Companion C-9
                    N51RK

Comment

• svyolo
                      svyolo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I put a 1/2 gallon header tank under the right front seat. Fits perfect and it is the strongest part of the fuselage. I return fuel to that. It is a commercially available tank called a "surge" tank. It is made for converting a carb engine to EFI. I couldn't find a duplex valve big enough to do the job, and the plumbing seemed pretty complicated. It might also require larger feed lines to be able to handle the continuous 40 gph flow requirements. The header tank fixes all of that. Not flying yet but almost done.

I am installing the efii system. They recommend a header tank. The reason for the tank is that the fuel is hot when it returns from the engine. They are concerned that the hot fuel will cause vapor lock in the system. Expect a considerable lead time from purchase to delivery.

Comment

svyolo could you post some photos?
                      Roger
                      QB Companion C-9
                      N51RK

Comment

Working...
                      X