Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thread sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread sealant

I used Permatex thread fitting sealant for fuel fittings, as it seems to tick off all the boxes. I noticed that when applied as directed (none on the first 2 threads and only 3/4 of the way around on the remaining male threads) that it doesn’t lubricate the fitting very much. When turning the fittings in, they feel ”dry, sticky, or grippy”. Maybe this doesn’t matter a lot. I don’t know. I do have EZ Turn lubricant, but I learned after I bought it that it is not a sealant.

next issue: the Permatex sealant fillet which forms where the fitting threads enter the tank doesn’t harden. Is it supposed to? Should I have confidence? Do other similar products harden up after a couple of weeks?
    thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Most thread sealants that I've used don't harden on the leftovers that squeeze out. They set up in the tiny spaces where it matters.

Comment

Ok. Thanks Jared. I was hoping for answers like that but I have no experience to support that conclusion on my own. I enjoyed your BH at a major airport vid very much, buy the way.

Comment

A lot of thread sealers “harden” in the absence of air so the exposed surface will never fully setup. I use Loctite 567 on all of my brake and fuel line NPT fittings— it’s popular in the RV community.. I’d stay away from Fuel Lube (aka EZ-turn) as a thread sealant.
        Last edited by auburntsts; 06-10-2020, 05:59 PM.
        Todd Stovall
        PP ASEL - IA
        RV-10 N728TT - Flying

Comment

I've just used the PFTE (teflon) paste, not the tape. It's impervious to about anything, has incredible heat range and harms nothing. And it's cheap...

Comment

• davzLSA
            davzLSA commented
            Editing a comment
            I called Bob about this and he recommended the teflon paste as well. So if Bob says it OK that what Im going to use. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated

Comment

Seems like in the past fuel lube/EZ turn was the recommended sealant for fuel fittings on this forum as well as other references. It is what I have used. Now it seems that Permatex or other sealants are recommended. Is there a problem with using fuel lube?

Comment

• zkelley2
              zkelley2 commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not actually a sealant.

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree that shifts occur in popular recommendations. I've also used it for a sealant in my fuel system and don't know of any problems using it.
              Last edited by Bcone1381; 06-28-2020, 07:23 PM. Reason: clarification
          Working...
          X