Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk 4 place cargo door position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk 4 place cargo door position

Good day all, I was wondering except for the design, is there a specific reason why I cant do a modification to the Bearhawk 4 place to rather have the cargo doors on the lefthand side of the plane (Pilot side) as apposed to the right hand side as all of them are built? I am thinking instead of walking around the plane to load and unload your items (especially if you are flying alone) would be much easier and convenient.

All inputs would be appreciated. I am new to the forum and the Bearhawk, so I will probably have a lot of silly questions.

I believe at least one builder has done it before. It never hurts to ask Bob when there are any structural matters.

Comment

I know there's at least 1 bearhawk out there with left side cargo doors. Only negative that I know of would be the possibility of engine exhaust Gas infiltration.

Comment

Being new to the group. How would I be able to get hold of Bob taking into account I am from South Africa, so email would probably be the easiest.

thanks for the replies.

Comment

Just mirror the plans. The Bearhawk original design didn’t have a cargo door....it’s an add-on. I personally would like a visual check on the door before takeoff. It would be a bad day if it opened in flight.

Comment

alaskabearhawk the bearhawk I now bought does not have the cargo door at all. So this build would be before the cargo doors were introduced. However, I definitely would like to have the cargo doors. So my question is the following, how do I go about to get a list of the necessary changes and drawings etc for the modification? Do I need to buy the complete new set of plans? Do I get guidance from someone?

Comment

Buy a set of plans. Beyond the door drawings there’s a wealth of information in those plans that will prove valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalaharibearhawk View Post
                alaskabearhawk the bearhawk I now bought does not have the cargo door at all. So this build would be before the cargo doors were introduced. However, I definitely would like to have the cargo doors. So my question is the following, how do I go about to get a list of the necessary changes and drawings etc for the modification? Do I need to buy the complete new set of plans? Do I get guidance from someone?
                The cargo door has been optional, and in the early days there was a plans add-on. Hopefully Bob would be able to sell you a set of those add-on pages if you otherwise have a good set of older plans. But if you don't have a full set of plans, you definitely need those. I know it isn't super-convenient, but can you use skype or something similar to catch him on the phone and he'd be able to fix you up.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusofcotton View Post
                  I know there's at least 1 bearhawk out there with left side cargo doors. Only negative that I know of would be the possibility of engine exhaust Gas infiltration.
                  The Exhausts gas is the big one here the ease of double check the door from the pilot seat is also nice.
                  With a standard right turning propeller the exhaust gas always comes around and up on the left side of the fuselage

Comment

• zkelley2
                    zkelley2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The pacer has it's rear door on the left side and I never had an issue.
                Working...
                X