Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuselage covering - apologies in advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuselage covering - apologies in advance

At the risk of appearing to challenge what is clearly a refined design, please understand that this inquiry stems from the cost of hangarage I'm being quoted in my region.
    I am of the understanding that fabric covered aircraft do not enjoy being kept outside, obviously indoors is better for all aircraft, but 100% aluminum designs seem to be more tolerant of this.

For this reason I ask if anyone has thought of the practicalities of replacing the fabric fuselage covering (and control surface coverings) with aluminum? This is in reference to the 4 place and Patrol, where the additional weight is a question of balance rather than useful load loss. I accept that covering a steel tube fuselage with aluminum is unusual, but certainly not impossible.

Food for thought...it's one of the questions that has kept me from ordering plans.

BTW...I am referring to a bonded aluminum skin rather than hundred of rivets through the fuselage.
    Last edited by Island_Moose; 09-03-2020, 03:20 PM.

That question sounds familiar.. might be worth searching the forum a bit. I would guess you’d wind up pretty tail heavy in a 4 place (which is arguably already a bit tail heavy) since all the fabric is aft of the datum anyway. That would restrict your useful load pretty well. That said I met a guy who had an aluminized Pacer that he loved and it looked awful nice.

Most of the guys I know have fabric planes and no hangar. It has an effect of course but is just the cost of business for most.
    Almost flying!

Comment

There's probably 500 of the most actively flown fabric covered aircraft in the world sitting outside here. Have to recover every 20-30 years, but you have the rebuild the engine as well. Most people need to do something to the paint of an aluminum airplane after sitting outside that long as well.

There's an argument to be made that taking the fabric off every 30 years and getting a really good look at the structure is much better than slapping another coat of paint on and hoping there's no corrosion on the aluminum.

On a new airplane, most of us will either be really old or dead by the time you need to do the fabric again.
      Last edited by zkelley2; 09-03-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Having never been involved much with GA other than my PPL 40 years ago I was surprised to find most airports turned into mostly light industrial. I guess that pays more than renting to airplanes. Hangar space is definitely at a premium almost everywhere I have looked. I will either buy or build my own, or leave it outside in the summer, and take the wings off and put it in storage for the winter.

Comment

• zkelley2
          zkelley2 commented
          Editing a comment
          The summer is when the damage is done. Not the winter.

I think that recovering every 15 years is easier then a redesign. Plus you get a C check thrown in for free. Get some good covers, good tie downs, gust locks and humidity control inside the plane. Keep the water out, the drains clear and the plane as dry as possible. Airplanes that fly frequently probably fair better outside. My Patrol will be outside it's whole life so this subject is of interest to me. The rain here in Seattle is relentless and all planes take a beating but you can fight back. One thing you cannot eliminate is the restless nights when the wind is howling and the rain is besting on the roof. Hanger wait lists are 3-7 years at my field, S50. Folding wings?
        Gerry
        Patrol #30

Comment

• zkelley2
          zkelley2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I can see 15 years maybe if you're in Arizona or Florida, but not the PNW.

If the airplane is properly tied down and secure it'll never see winds or forces it experiences in flight, so I don't worry about that. It can take it.

It's kind of like when people ask if the jets at work have a problem in the cold in the winter here. They spend 10-16 hours at a time at -50 or less. +10 on the ground is warm!
          Last edited by zkelley2; 09-03-2020, 09:22 PM.

Metco-aire, Skycraft are a couple of companies that metalized fabric Pipers way back in the 60's. Added weight and fugly too. If an all metal airplane floats your boat I would look elsewhere.

Comment

Composite could be done, and I believe has been done in the past on a couple of light aircraft. I think you could do 2 layers of 5 oz cloth for only a slight weight penalty to traditional fabric, depending on how much paint you spray on. You might be able to eliminate the stringers and make it the same weight.

Comment

If the price of the hangar rental is off-putting, aircraft ownership might not be for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
              If the price of the hangar rental is off-putting, aircraft ownership might not be for you.
              I disagree. Hangar rental at my airport is $1500/mo for shared space.

Comment

• Battson
                Battson commented
                Editing a comment
                Cheaper to re-cover the aircraft every year then!?

• zkelley2
                zkelley2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup. Which is why you see so many airplanes sitting outside. That and you get 20-30 years on fabric outside and you could build a couple bearhawk for the price of hangar rental.

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Alaska is a pretty extreme example of how hard hanger space can be to find. At a reasonable price. Mark
            Working...
            X