Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General FWF Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General FWF Q&A

When I ordered my prop, I also ordered the Hartzell governor and understood the possibility that space between the firewall and the flare might require I dish out the firewall.

I have about 4.5 inches between the Firewall and the accessory case mount for the prop governor. Well, it turns out the Hartzell dimensions are 6 inches from the pad to the aft arm. The prop push-pull cable to the governor control arm will be inside the dish.

The last photo shows I think the PCU 5000X (not a Hatzell) governor is used in the Patrol. I'm reconsidering my governor choice and looking for feedback from those have experience building, modifying and using them.

(To resolve some folks curiosity, My engine is mounted temporarily to a wood firewall on an engine stand.)

Brooks
    IMG_1432.JPGIMG_1433.JPGScreen Shot 2020-10-15 at 1.06.47 PM.png

Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I set my firewall back three inches in the area between the diagonal tubes on the front of the fuselage. Gave me room for the prop governor and made it easier to change the oil filter. Another idea I considered for the oil filter was to put an access door in the firewall but I didn't like the idea of working under the panel to remove and install oil filters.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I wouldn't take it down as low as I did, that was to make room for something else that is gone now. It would have been easier to run the lines from the brake master cylinders if the recessed area didn't go down so far.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Rollie VanDorn
      Findlay, OH
      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I just measure my PCU. From the mounting flange on the engine, to the nut plus 1 thread on the bolt holding the actuating arm is 5 3/16". That is with the actuating terminal on the cable on the INSIDE of the arm (between the governor and the arm). If you had to put it on the outside, the total length would be 5.5-5.75, depending on what you used for the terminal. I have a bearing.

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          If you used a clevis and clevis pin you might be able to shave a 1/16 - 1/8 off that. Maybe. Or form an indentation into the firewall.

I have only been impressed by my PCU5000X.

It came with everything I needed to install it, it was easy to adjust during flight testing, and I have never had to touch it since.

Operationally, the prop RPM is steady in flight throughout flight phases. I never have to fiddle with the blue control. It has the rapid response needed to control a carbon prop during an emergency full power application or other rapid throttle movements without over-speeding the prop.

They seem a little smaller and lighter than many other brands, having not done a full market cross-section.

Comment

Since we're experimental, instead of going with the PCU5000, I reccomend buying the johistroj straight from CZ. The PCU5000 is just a rebranded jihostroj for more money.

For that matter, so are the older MT governors.

Comment

Brooks, there are several brackets available that bring the cable/rod end attachment back towards the engine. It bolts on to the gov arm. I think it was used on some 185's on floats, not sure why the float aspect would have anything to do with that. I will try and find some pics but don't have a good complete view of the arm itself. You will have to make a cable support that aims the solid wire at the rod end. My EDO gov goes a long way into my firewall but the cable and support are just in front of the firewall. The 5000 gov is a good unit and shorter. If the distance is 1- 2", you can use a long bolt. Head of the bolt pinched against the arm and the rod end connected at the threads. You can also move the arm assembly anywhere you want by removing the screws that are normally lock wired and pivot the assembly around where it works best.

IMG_0148.JPG​Cel Pics 2 103.JPGCel Pics 2 105.JPG

Comment

Are there two mount lengths for the 360 as well? It seems really weird to me there would be firewall fitment issues with the 360, having seen one, there's loads of room, and thinking if I had 2 less cylinders how much room I'd have.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a Patrol Zach. Mark

• zkelley2
                zkelley2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah! Somehow I missed that.

Thanks.

Brooks, I used the PCU unit and had no fitment issues. Pics below show it during the fit / evaluation process and the finished product. I can’t say for sure, but Ithink there was at least an inch of clearance.

Bill

9525FD57-FDE5-4940-A94C-CBA53B2BF4AA.jpeg1FED1EBC-8552-48F5-9480-943AE56FD843.jpeg
              Last edited by Bdflies; 10-15-2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zkelley2 View Post
                Since we're experimental, instead of going with the PCU5000, I reccomend buying the johistroj straight from CZ. The PCU5000 is just a rebranded jihostroj for more money.

For that matter, so are the older MT governors.
                Is there any difference in warranty or organisational support / backing for the product?
                I can hardly spell Johistroj let alone pronounce it.

Comment

i was planning on using a front mounted governor as in Citabrias. Has anyone had problems with fitting in that position?

Comment

Rollie, I never thought about a firewall mod like that. Thinking outside the box like that....I wish I were better at that.

Steve, Thanks for your photo. That really helps me see how the Hartzell governor will look with what I first considered as a fix.

Bill, Great to hear from you!! You installation is simple and seems to me like it should be my new target. Simple is good. Some may be curious.... I just found these dimensions on the PCU5000/johistroj unit.
                  Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 8.07.41 AM.png
                  Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 8.18.10 AM.png
                  Attached Files
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep that is it. It just doesn't include the actuating terminal and or the pin or bolt/nut on the end.
                Working...
                X