Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Counselor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Counselor

Happy New Years to all. I have a question. Typically, how often and/or at what points to you have a tech counselor take a look at your projects?

I’ve enlisted the help of two retired aircraft engineers. Both of them know the tech counselor well, and he is very happy to have them mentor me through the project with occasional visits from him.

One of the engineers visits me weekly and has a GA background, the other fortnightly - he has an airline background but with a heavy involvement in experimental aircraft and several of his own GA aircraft, so I’m never far away from having a second opinion, some good advice or a discussion on other ways to do something.

To be honest it’s a part of the project that I really enjoy, having a regular chat over coffee and with these guys and talking planes !
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

My local EAA 309 Chapter has several Tech Counselors. I had one visit prior to fabric covering and one after the engine was hung. He said that was all I would need, but would come back if I needed him. Kept the paper work of his notes for the final airworthiness inspection.
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I had our EAA chapter tech counselors visit before closing the wings and before covering the fuselage. They had helpful suggestions for better securing a few items. Provided me a copy of the forms from the EAA. I will have an A&P go over my engine installation when the time comes. Same guy that I helped build my engine.

Comment

My local EAA chapter is struggling and doesn’t have any worthwhile tech counselors therefore I didn’t have any visits.

I think doing like Rob, one before cover and one after engine install, would be a good way to go. I’d also opt for a visit before the DAR comes as a sort of mock DAR inspection. I was pretty nervous about the DAR visit since no one had looked at the plane besides my dad and I.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Russellmn
            Russellmn commented
            Editing a comment
            We have a DAR in a sister chapter about an hour away, he's told me he is more than happy to come visit and look over a build prior to his official inspection.

Appreciate the feedback. I have a feeling the type of relationship one has with a local chapter/Tech Counselor will make a difference too. My concern is getting too far without other input and have some redo. This is not my first rodeo working with this stuff, but it will be my first complete project.

Comment

I guess I would seek a tech counselor for stuff I was not sure of, or doing for the first time. If I had scratch built the fuselage or wings I would definitely like input on my welding. Building a QB kit, I see a lot less need. If I had a bunch of stuff mounted in the aft fuselage, I might want to have somebody look at it before covering. I have the minimum back there.

I do absolutely like the idea of having a "pre-DAR" inspection. A lot of higher end maintenance work requires a worker, and a separate inspector. I absolutely want someone more experienced than me checking my work to make sure I didn't forget something, or do something completely wrong. Another set of eyes can be a lifesaver.

I do remember a bit of advice I was given a long time ago. Always give an inspector an easy to find nugget or two. Something quick and easy to fix. If not, they will keep digging until they "find" something.

Comment

A couple builders in our chapter invited the whole group out to do a pre-DAR inspection. Seemed to work out well for them.

Comment

• Wolfpilot
                Wolfpilot commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a pretty cool concept!
            Working...
            X