Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third year running for Bearhawk STOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third year running for Bearhawk STOL

Third year in a row the Bearhawk 4-place has taken top honors in the STOL competition in the Heavy Touring category at Omaka, New Zealand. As always competition was stiff and we has some highly skilled pilots to contend with, in all categories.

Results here:
    Welcome to the Marlborough Aero Club. We are ideally located on our own airfield in sunny Blenheim, Marlborough. If you've dreamed of gaining your private or commercial pilot's licence, experiencing life from the sky, or gaining ratings, new skills or hiring aircraft for current PPL/CPL holders - we're here to help.

This year the wind was relatively steady throughout the afternoon for both light and heavy touring aircraft. Interestingly the winning distances in Heavy Touring were about 10m (30ft) better than the winning distances in the Light Touring category, which is not what you'd expect.

So, being deliberately provocative... why own a 2 or 3-place Super Cub, when a Bearhawk 4-place will go to the same places, get there much faster, with more cargo space??

Battson congrats on your win!!! Way to go BH
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Congrats, Jonathan! Looking forward to the video!
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Great work Jon !
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Wow, that’s impressive. 25m take-off distance and 45m landing...I’m quite far from those numbers and need some more practice, I guess :-). Congrats, you’re the best....

Comment

Congratulations, that's a wide variety of planes competing.

Comment

After reading Aero Tango's Post (#5) I went back and looked more carefully at the numbers.

I'd like to highlight that Battson is in the Heavy Touring Class, +2550 lbs. I wanted to see how he compared.....where there others close? Battson's 25M and 28M takeoffs were followed by a Maul at 40M and then several at 60M in this class.

When I looked at the other classes, I found to my surprise, the no Light touring class participant beat him, while a 190 hp Carbon Cub was close. But I thought for sure the Micro Light class (Sport Class in the USA) would trounce him. Not true! Two of the 6 Micro-light pilots beat him by a small margin but 30, 40, 50M takeoffs were the norm.
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

None of the competitions up here will allow the experiementals with the certified, so we have to compete against the Backcountry cubs. (SQ2). Those roundly kick my ass in TO/Landing distance and there's nothing I can do about that. Last time I did one the winner was a 86'(26.2m) takeoff with a 59'(18m) landing.

Comment

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone!!

ZK - I guess if they make an experimental heavy class, I win every time because nobody else enters

However, it's not like we are building custom experimental STOL aircraft just to with the STOL - the Bearhwak goes x-country touring with many of the competitors the day after, and we have no trouble hanging with the pack and hauling the load. These are mostly stock 180s, aerodynamically speaking, bar a few small mods like Sportsman STOL or VGs. Most don't have bushwheels. Some of the 185s are heavily modified but they are just too heavy. If the Maule or 180 guys bought the right prop, tires, and put their planes on a diet, they could be very competitive! I don't see the need for a special category here, yet. Maybe the day will come.

Comment

• zkelley2
                    zkelley2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well the SQ2 is 2500lbs gross just like we are, so they do compete at the same "weight". Just can't beat those slats and fowlers.
                    Of course they cruise at 80mph and we cruise at 130mph, but STOL contests don't capture that.

Sounds like you guys have a lot more real world contest then we ever see here.
                    Last edited by zkelley2; 02-21-2021, 10:10 PM.

Jonathan...congratulations on your win! That is fantastic. But, I'll be an outlier here. To be honest I would rather watch paint dry than watch a STOL competition. The best, and the only good part of a STOL competition is getting together with friends while camping, eating BBQ animal parts and talking airplanes. You don't need a STOL competition to do that.

Comment

• Battson
                    Battson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All fair comments. We don't really get together to watch the contest, it's most about an excuse to get together! Some of the guys come from the other end of the country, and save for events like this, we don't see each other very often. To have everyone together in one large gathering (about 80 to 90 aircraft in total) is worthwhile
                Working...
                X