Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowling attachment to firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I tried removing the top cowling as if the U channel did extend under the firewall flange, and I can’t actually see how to remove it. What’s the trick ? Obviously I’m missing something.

If I slide the top cowl and top nose bowl forward it hits the spinner before the rear cowl clears the firewall. If I lift the front nose bowl first (with the top cowl attached, it still doesn’t clear the spinner. If I detach the top cowl from the top nose bowl, it doesn’t clear the nose bowl flange OR the firewall flange.

What am I doing wrong here. In 20 years someone must have removed their top cowl at least once. How’d ya’ll do this ??
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Temporarily spring a little arch in the cowl. Usually I set the front behind the spinner, then apply a forward motion from the back.

Comment

I have to completely deconstruct my top cowling to remove it. Then remove the top nose bowl. Then finally the channels.

I built my bottom cowling with the bottom nose bowl and channels built in. So it goes on and off super easy.
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I can lift my top nose bowl up enough to have nose bowl go forward past spinner backplate to remove at firewall channel

Comment

How about attaching the angle to the other side (firewall flange), and unbolt it from the actual cowling to remove the cowl.

Comment

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the way I’m thinking of doing it John. It does require an extra fastener but it will allow the whole top cowl to lift vertically up while attached to the upper nose bowl.

Hey Nev, how did you end up reinforcing the corner of the upper cowl? I am thinking about trying something similar with the corners of the lower cowl. Still trying to figure it out. It seems to me sandwiching the boot cowl/firewall between the channel and cowl skin would scratch up the paint.

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of the steel tabs I made up and attached nut-plates to. The upper cowl is riveted to the nose bowl permanently. It has aluminium extrusion riveted along each side of the upper cowling that supports the piano hinge. The extrusion fits over the steel tabs. So far it all seems to work very well.
              0F1DDD33-8214-4B4A-A094-103539A6BF82.jpg
              610B31D9-30A3-41A6-BE7F-8E00ACA3CF1E.jpg

2D6E42A4-6122-47A6-938B-A32AC276CBDB.jpg

B8B2F05B-0549-4A59-B3AF-6B982AB1A5F2.jpg

Last edited by Nev; 08-09-2022, 04:24 PM.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
              YouTube - Build and flying channel
              Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I like it I think I will do the same. Thanks for taking the time.
            Working...
            X