Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hangar Door Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangar Door Height?

I'm planning to build a new hangar.

In my wildest dreams, I want to be able to put my future Model B on amphibious floats...

So, what would be the minimum clearance height I would need on the door?

Karl
    Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
    Northern Idaho

Go as big as you can afford.
    18' x 55' you want a Kingair some day.

Comment

I planned my door for that purpose and went with 14'. I honestly can't remember how I came to that conclusion though...
      Almost flying!

Comment

I agree with go as big as possible. Never know what plane you or a future owner might want.

Comment

Thanks! All good advise! Dream BIG...Go big or go home!

But bigger than needed comes at a bigger than needed cost! So I need to work within a budget.

I have decided to go with the Higher Power door and I'm at the point where I need to place the order...

Does anyone know the approximate height of the highest point (presumably the tail beacon) of a Bearhawk (Model B) mounted on amphibious floats?

Karl
          Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
          Northern Idaho

Comment

Can’t answer on a Bearhawk, but 16’ is a typical framed height. Finished with door is then lower.

A friend has a 14’ door, and has kept a previous 206 on Amphibs in it, then a carbon cub Amphib , and now a Maule Amphib once summer is over. I believe the 206 would the closest in height to the BH - and I don’t see a Model 5 being any taller than a 206/185 Amphib.

pb

Comment

I can tell you from experience when searching for my door (14x46) that a 12' door wasn't much cheaper than a 14' door. My advise is to go as tall as you can, no one ever complained about a door being too big. Same holds true for wall height on metal buildings. 18' wasn't a huge jump in price vice a 16' so I went with 18' to ensure I could do a 14' door. BTW, I've been really happy with my "Higher Power Door" www.hpdoors.com Because HP Doors are self supporting I was able to save money in the building as it required less steel to support the door.

Comment

I have a HP door, 12 vs 14 and 44’ vs 48 was a couple $100s difference. At the end I went with 14’x48’

Comment

Working...
              X