Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging the engine, balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging the engine, balance

I am ready to hang the motor after 2 months of finding things to do before i do it. How does the 4 place balance without the tail and cargo doors? My fuselage is covered. Just hanging the motor, do I need the tail feathers installed to keep from being a nose dragger? No prop installed.

It will stay put- mount engine and propeller

Comment

I'm in the same situation. The tail was a bit light for my liking so I put the cargo floor in place and put 2x5 gallon water containers in place.

Comment

My engine is an IO540, and I used a bag of compost in the cargo area. Definitely needed, because if you’re disassembling the empennage etc it’ll nose over. I had my tailwheel up on a saw horse which kept the engine lower. That put the vertical stab pretty close to my ceiling, so I wedged some foam above the vertical stab, and on more than one occasion it was the ceiling contact that saved an embarrassing incident.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Its better to be safe than sorry, weigh it down or at least put the tail feathers on it.

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually looking at it again, I will just leave the aft part of the rotisserie attached for now. It will keep the tail up/nose lower and is heavy enough to do the job.

Remember that the higher the tailwheel is off the ground, the lighter it gets.

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I get that as well. I tried to put the fuselage on the gear today but my Harbor Freight lift doesn't play well with the rotisserie. I don't think I was too far from my first plane crash. I bought a HF chain hoist today and will try again tomorrow. Today was not good. LOL.

• jaredyates
              jaredyates commented
              Editing a comment
              This is because raising the tail moves the main wheels aft relative to the CG, and the effect is very large.

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually my situation was much dumber and self-induced. In the end I avoided the crash or worse. The chain hoist worked great. Gear installed. Engine tomorrow hopefully but one of the gear strut bolts is too long. I might have to wait for ACS shipment before I install the motor.
          Working...
          X