Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lycoming core prices----

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is an example----
    found on the web a parts place called dodson international. they have maybe 150 engines listed as in stock. That was just Io-470's.
    The prices varied from 12K to 36K. They had prop strike engines for 25K, 30K and 35K$. They said the usual BS that the crank dialed XYZ.
    (like that makes the prop strike OK---) It looked like these were mostly all core engines. this is what I was talking about when I said the vampires are stockpiling the cores and trying to sell them for prices that no one want to pay. Its just like charging 10$ for a bottle of water after a hurricane in Florida.
    Many-many of these core engines had between 1000 and 1300 hours--- so I guess they were maybe pulled from commercial operations. What deal did they work ? has to be a contract deal.

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Bob Barrows is in the engine business. You might give him a call to see what his current experience is in obtaining cores. You might be able to buy a rebuild from him for much less than a core and then rebuild by someone else.

There is a IO-540 for sale on the Biplane Forun. 0 time SO by Bob Barrows. Plus a surprise.

Comment

My last flight as PIC in a light aircraft was 1982. When I bought an engine, my biggest fear was being an idiot. I would have preferred to buy used. But I had no connections to the local GA community. If I was looking for a "deal", I would be the chump that buys the engine that everyone else knows is junk. Out of fear of being the "mark", I bought a rebuild from Bob at a smokin' price.

I did this as I realized my biggest limitation was - me. I tend toward the cheap side, but I also know doing that can be expensive.

Comment

svyolo----
        you said you saw running 320,360 and 540 engine at mid teens---- do you mean ---RUN OUT---- but still running ---- right ? Thats called a core :-)
        No useful life remaining. BTW--- where were you looking to see those prices ?

Comment

yes--- when I see a REALLY cheap price--- I start digging in to find the hidden fishhook inside the fat juicy worm........there is usually one---

Comment

Not mine, don't know the owner: https://kenai.craigslist.org/avo/d/h...711671405.html

Comment

Working...
            X