Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adjusting the heights on your building table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjusting the heights on your building table

I am building my 2-nd 9 foot table 2x or 4x9. I checked it with my electronic level. Pretty crappy performance.

I am thinking to make a level out of 20 feet of clear Vinal hose filled with colored water--- fix one end at a corner and then check many points along the table frame. if I want more sensitivity -- I think I could add a smaller capillary on the moving end to increase sensitivity. anyone tried this ?

tim

I've used the same system for levelling my wings to calibrate fuel sight gauges and other things. Works very well. I didn't use colouring, just water. Very easy to read.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Did that for my Lancair spars, a couple decks, and numerous boat waterlines. IIRC, a small amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent mixed in reduces surface tension and potential error associated with larger meniscus. Antifreeze in the winter if working in low temps.

Comment

I used a water level like that to mount my wings. Works great! Well except for the fact that it was 10 degrees F and kept freezing on me… but you won’t have that problem!
        Almost flying!

Comment

Originally posted by fairchild1934 View Post
          I am building my 2-nd 9 foot table 2x or 4x9. I checked it with my electronic level. Pretty crappy performance.

I am thinking to make a level out of 20 feet of clear Vinal hose filled with colored water--- fix one end at a corner and then check many points along the table frame. if I want more sensitivity -- I think I could add a smaller capillary on the moving end to increase sensitivity. anyone tried this ?

tim
          Experiment. I suspect the sensitivity will not change with the DIA of your tube, rathe i predict the water just seeks its own level. I further suspect a smaller DIA tube will only make the reading harder to see, and the water level would be slighty slower to react.

If a hose end was placed at each corner then all were plumbed together with tees you could easily see how it all is set. Add a 6" ruler at each hose end. https://www.yardstore.com/6-special-...vertical-0-5mm

Using the hose ends and the rulers you have a data point. Your goal: "I can see that this leg is 3 mm low."

If you desire to improve the sensativity get out a magnifying glass, or 3X reading glasses. You will be able to bring the sensativity to 0.2mm.

BTW, the link below is my favorite shop measuring device. I like 10th of an inch on one side and mm on the other. Shiney rulers are hard to read These are matt fininsh and the black lettering are easy to read. I had one for years and Becuase I always used it, I could never find it....hidden under this, left over there, dropped on the floor. So I bought five a few weeks ago. Having a few on hand changed the shop culture into a game of Hide and Seek. I grab another and keep building while wondering where i left the it. Cleaning always turns it up.

Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I made an accurate level using a syringe wedged into a block of plastic: Probably 20ml.
            wl.jpg

An additional useful feature is it comes with a cork. Using the cork allows level to be moved around without it overflowing from careless movement:
            wl2.jpg

leg.jpg

When I started I watched youtube videos of N3uw. He made his tables in a way that I liked.

I also was fortunate that my son had wrecked the car and I got a lot of free labor out of him.

TORSION TABLE:
            top2.jpg

And my improvement on N3uw was installing 1/2 inch home made nutplates. The table top has many attach holes that can be used for a variety of jobs.
            top1.jpg
            top3.jpg
            Attached Files
            Stan
            Austin Tx

Comment

My 4X16 table cobbled together from old workshop materials left a lot to be desired. When I needed a flat level surface to build up the spars, I carefully made an elevated extension. I used a water level and checked it also against a string level as well as a conventional level.

It is at an ergonomic height and I'm glad I don't have to stoop.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Frank Forney
              Englewood CO
              https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
              EAA Chapter 301

Comment

all good ideas.....
                i built the 2-nd table on top of the first one- since my floor is pretty bad lumpy.

Comment

Adjustable feet are pretty easy to do. Even if it is just shims. I put everything on wheels so I could move it around.

Comment

Take a look at these. I have built a number of workbenches with 4x4 legs with adjustable casters have made leveling a cinch. Skelang 4-Pcs Leveling Machine Casters with Nylon Wheel and Rubber Foot, Retractable Workbench Caster, Loading Capacity 2200 Lbs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Comment

Instead of an adjustable height table, I used an adjustable height wing rotisserie. Perforated square tube sliding over a smaller square tube. Stick a bolt thru the hole to adjust the height. That wasnt' the reason I made them adjustable, I did it to use them to lift and move the wings. But that height adjustability was wonderful for building.

The table I used was fixed, but on wheels. I made it very tall so I wasn't crouched over all the time. Occassionally I had to stand on a stool. Also, it worked out great. I dismantled the table and reused the wood for other things. The rotisserie I still have, and use it to put the wings on by myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X