Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

balancing/ counterweighting control surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balancing/ counterweighting control surfaces

are we supposed to counterweight until the surface is neutral balanced or is it supposed to be heavy on the counterbalance side ?
    and what are the ramifications if it is too heavy on the counterweight side ?

(if I add a light to the rudder trailing edge-- I wont know how much lead I will need until I get the light and install it---)

Tim

I believe it’s supposed to be neutral with the fabric and paint on, so a little heavy on the counter weight side before fabric. Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott----
      I considered if I should build in a sheet aluminum door there - something screwed on. not sure though if I could secure it in a foolproof manner. not sure if that would be practical. You wouldn't want to risk anything like that coming undone and fowling the rudder movement. Maybe I will get the lights and wiring done before I cast the weight. That might be safest.

Comment

You are referring to the rudder. Are you meaning the elevator?

Comment

Originally posted by fairchild1934 View Post
          are we supposed to counterweight until the surface is neutral balanced or is it supposed to be heavy on the counterbalance side ?
          and what are the ramifications if it is too heavy on the counterweight side ?

(if I add a light to the rudder trailing edge-- I wont know how much lead I will need until I get the light and install it---)

Tim
          No lead in the rudder counter balance. It's area ahead of the hinge line acts as the counterbalance.

Comment

I must have not noticed that---

Comment

IIRC above a certain speed, rudders require balancing as well, but I believe that is well above BH speeds.

Comment

I asked Bob the need to counter balance on the Patrol rudder (I added an AeroLed Suntail on the trailing edge). He stated that it shouldn't be a concern.

Comment

Working...
                X