Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Russell the nose bowl is the Corvair nose Bowl. Its also used on several of the Zenith aircraft.

Comment

• Hey Fellas, got some more progress, got the fire wall made today, that was after I cleaned and organized my shop a little. Had to put up some clutter, its hard to work around that. Here are the pics. As usual all comments are welcomed.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Last edited by davzLSA; 12-14-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Looks great Dave!

Comment

• Dave

I made an initial firewall out of aluminum to use for mocking up all the "pass thru" items as well as items that would mount to it.

Once I was happy with it(which did involve repositioning things a few times) I transferred everything over to the real titanium firewall.

Comment

• Looking good Dave. Question, how wide is the Corvair nosebowl compared to the firewall? I've been trying to mentally visualize how big cowl cheeks for the cylinders would be ( ala Carbon Cub look).

I've had slow progress this fall, about to wrap my rear spars and start on the mains.

John

Comment

• Hi Guys, more progress today. I have the fire wall on and the engine back on and the nose bowl on just to get an idea of the lay of the skins. I think the pictures will answer your questions John. Since the distance between the fire wall and the edge of the nose bowl is so short I think Im going to make it so the whole top of the cowl can be removable.
              This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

• johnb
                johnb commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the pictures. That helps visualize it. It's going to look good.

• bcbearhawkLSA
                bcbearhawkLSA commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking really good! 👍 Greatly enjoy your updates, pics, posts, documentation.

• The nose bowl is especially designed for the corvair engine. As you can see it is a tight fit around the front of the engine, in case anyone is tempted I don't think it would work on a O200, the O200 is a little wider than the Corvair.

Comment

• Hey Guys, A little more progress today, I bought a roll of acetate and used it to make a boot cowl, I intend to trace the pattern on a 12 foot long sheet of aluminum and TRY to make the boot cowl out of one piece of aluminum. Hope you like the pix and gratuitous cat pix.
                This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• Bdflies
                  Bdflies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  An observation: Making the boot cowl in 3 pieces, allows you to remove the side panels for access to avionics and instruments, in the future. I installed an upgrade engine instrument, in a previous plane and praised the wisdom of the removable side panel.
                  Just a point to consider.

What gratuitous cat pics? I have more cat pics than plane pics!

Bill
                  Last edited by Bdflies; 12-29-2019, 07:08 PM.

• Hi Bill thanks for the tip. I wanted it to be 1 piece when fitting the skin, then I will cut it into removable pieces once everything is fitted. I also want to be able to access the area under control column so I will make a removable panel in that part of the boot cowl. I also plan to have a removable instrument panel. So once I get the boot cowl on I will cut out the existing instrument panel except for a flange and will screw the panel with the instruments to that flange. Believe me Bill I am with you on making things as easy as possible in the future. That is the plan anyway, but you know what is said about plans, "it is usually the first causality of the battle"
                Last edited by davzLSA; 12-29-2019, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Hey Guys, Im sure all of you have noticed that my thread has over 10,000 views. I just wanted to thank anyone and everyone that has taken an interest in my project. I also wanted to say to all yall that I have gotten much more out of this forum than I have given. Thank you all very much for the encouragement and compliments. Its one of the things that keeps me going on my build.

Comment

• Dave

I made my first one like you have started. Then I realized I couldn't easily get it back off without having to remove the windscreen as the seam between the side and the top piece would be under the windscreen..

So then I made a second one with the split about halfway down either side(in line with the cowl split). That way I can easily take off the lower half to get to things behind the panel or the rudder pedals without having to mess with the windscreen.

So one top piece running halfway up one side and down the other.

and two shorter pieces(one on each side) running from the halfway point down to the exhaust ramp.

At the "halfway down" joint, I added a 1" x1" angle(IIRC, out of .032") on the backside of the overlap as a stiffener.

Comment

• That makes sense Brad, I think it would be easier to fabricate the boot cowl too, thanks for sharing that with me.

Comment

• Dave

From your picture, I can't tell how you have approached it, but I put the slots needed to clear the tubes that have to run through the top piece running from the back of the piece to the tube openings. That way it was inside the cabin and I didn't have to worry about sealing it as tightly against the weather.

The first photo was my first go at it. I started down the path of a small upper piece with the slots from the front. This is not the way i finished. If you zoom in on the second photo, you can see where I ended up with the split and that the slots came in from the back.
                        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Hey Brad thanks for that tip about breaking up the boot cowl in parts and making them removable and that is what Im going to do. As a result I have started working on the top skin of the boot cowl, I made a trip to ACS today and picked up a full 4x8 sheet of .032 alclad. Anyway this is not much of an update but I wanted to show yall a very important individual who is assisting me, of course it is my beer assistant, you just cant build a good airplane with out a good beer assistant. I just cant keep him from running off with my pen from time to time, we need to work on that. I hope your beer assistant is as good as mine. Hope you like the pics.
                          This gallery has 4 photos.
                          Last edited by davzLSA; 01-20-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Hey guys I have some real progress to report today, did'nt need the beer assistant today. I have the top boot cowl skin fitted and drilled. Finally, It was a long process because it was fit cut fit cut until it fit perfectly. I am happy with the way it came out, Now I just have the sides and the bottom to go. Got pix so I hope they are helpful to someone. Forgot to mention the wind shield, just got it alast week I just had to set it up on the boot cowl for a little inspiration.
                            This gallery has 8 photos.
                            Last edited by davzLSA; 01-21-2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X