Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey fellas got a little more progress to report. I got the right side boot cowl skin fitted and drilled. It took most of the day, I started with a paper template, that got me in the ball park, then I just had to fit and trim. I made a butt joint between the top boot cowl skin and the side boot cowl skin. I put 2 inch spacing on the side skin so I can use screws to hold it on so it can be removable. The plan is to get the left side done tomorrow. Hope the pix are useful to someone.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Great progress. I might copy how you split the sides, that looks really good.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

• Hi Dave, that idea came from Btaz. The side skins will be removable. As big of a PITA as fitting the top and side skins I really wonder if it is possible to make and fit a one piece skin to fit the boot cowl. I got the left side done today only have the bottom skin left to do. I had to pull the left gear leg off to get this skin to fit. Here are the pics hope they are useful to someone. I was proud of the butt joint between the side skin and the top skin. The way to got it so straight was to slide the side skin under the top skin, strap everything down then draw line on the side skin using the top skin as a guide. Then I removed the side skin and vary carefully cut the side skin along the line that was drawn using the top skin as a guide. Then I clamped that edge down to a straight piece of steel square tube and used my vixen file to smooth it straight against the square steel tube. When that was done it was butted up as tightly as I could get it against the edge of the top skin, then drilled it to the angle under the top skin and the side skin. these side skins will be fastened with screws. Lots a nut-plates oh the fun!!!
        This gallery has 6 photos.
        Last edited by davzLSA; 01-26-2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have a little more progress to report today, The boot cowl is done, I got the final bottom skin fitted and drilled today. I know my progress is painfully slow but but Im not punching a clock on it and im in no hurry.

Comment

• Hi Guys, i have the first stages of the engine cowl test fitted. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with brittle fiberglass? I dont like to hear cracking sounds when Im trying to tighten a clamp. I think a heat gun might make it more supple but I really dont have any experience dealing with it.
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• stinger
              stinger commented
              Editing a comment
              Dave, just a observation but should you be building the cowling with out the exhaust ? Fiberglass is easy to repair so don't worry about the crunching . One must be very careful using a heat gun on fiberglass. Are you using angle as support struts on nose bowl ? Stinger

• Hey Stinger, I have test fitted the exhaust already, I im waiting to get the engine cowl skin on then Ill cut out for the exhaust and put the air intake on. I bent up some .032 into a channel to support the nose bowl. I think the middle one is unnecessary so I probably wont use it. I think the cowl skin will do a good job of helping to support the cowl skin. I dont have the engine tight on the mount yet either, so Ill have to do that before fitting the cowl skins, if I dont the prop hub would rub on the lip of the cowl after the engine is tightened down if the cowl skins were put on first.I just wanted to say that I plan to skin the engine cowl with .025 aluminum, the .032 is just for support and a place to put the fasteners.
            Last edited by davzLSA; 02-26-2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have more progress to report, I finally got the top engine cowl skins fitted. I haven't got the bottom of the engine cowl started yet. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use .040 non heat treated so I can shrink it around the corners at the bottom of the boot cowl and probably at the nose bowl as well. I'm using the nose bowl that was developed for the Corvair engine and it is a pretty tight curve. Anyway hope you like the pixs.
              This gallery has 9 photos.

Comment

• Dave, That’s gonna be a great looking cowl! Those contours are challenging, no doubt, but it’ll be unique and attractive!

Bill

Comment

• Thanks for the compliment Bill, I have some crazy ideas about the botom of the cowl and the air intake, I am not crazy about the traditional square inlet. But we'll see?

Comment

• Looks great! and keep swinging for the fence, I always look for your new posts!

Comment

• Thanks quadra, i am happy you like my posts and I will keep them coming as I work on my plane, I hope it is of use to you.

Comment

• Hey Guys Got some progress to report today. I have been working for the past 2 days. I was spurred on by a friend also whom is building the LSA. He is ahead of me on his build and I thought I need to get off my lazy a$$ and get busy. So I now have the top done with the top fairing on. I have the boot cowl and the engine cowl mostly complete. I still need to make the bottom skin for the engine cowl. Im going to be different than everyone else on that bottom skin. Thats all im going to say about that. I have to let the picture do the talking. Here are a bunch of pics. Hope ya'll like them.
                        This gallery has 19 photos.

Comment

• Dave, these photos are all really helpful to someone like me. Great to see your progress too. That cowl looks great !
                          Nev Bailey
                          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                          YouTube - Build and flying channel
                          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Hey Nev Im glad you find them useful that I why I post them. There are more to come.

Comment

• Looking good Dave. Keep up the good work ! I've been working on my wing spars lately. I'll try to get some pictures posted in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X