Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Frank, as soon as I get the firewall together Im going to start working on getting the engine and electrical system in. I plan to start it before I cover the fuse to check out the engine. It has ran before after I first built it. I took it down to Florida to William Wynne's place where he has a test stand.

Comment

• Hey Guys,
      I have progress to report. For the last few days I have been working on getting my throttle and mixture controls hooked up. I thought going into this that it would not take long, oh boy was I wrong!!! I had to fabricate a million little brackets and figure out all the geometry to get it all to work correctly. I know it doesn't look like much progress but it was a lot of work. Anyway here are the pictures. Hope they are helpful to someone. Also rod end female bearing are on the way. I am just using the forks temporally just to get things moving.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 8 photos.
      Last edited by davzLSA; 03-29-2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking great Dave. I hope to reach that stage of the game some day!

• Hey Frank, just keep beating on it. I just take it one task at a time. I still have 2 wings to build. I decided to do the fuse first because I have built rv4 wings before, they are very similar to the bearhawk wings. I think of this airplane building as a journey not a destination. How are you planning to do your fuse? Are you going to buy a tubing kit or just buy a prewelded fuse from Mark? Unless your welding skills are really very good I recommend just buying a factory welded fuse. They do really good work at the factory.

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Dave, I'm with you on the journey as much as a destination. So I don't have a plan for the fuselage yet. Keeping all options open. Same with power plant and everything else. Will need to focus on spar building pretty soon. Bending brake and all that good stuff. I will get a welding rig before too long for the aileron steel parts. Looking forward to that!

• Hey Guys, It been awhile since I last posted, that doesn't mean I haven't been working. I am working on getting the engine compartment put together. I have a temporary plywood firewall installed presently and I am getting all the wires and oil lines and hoses sorted. I'm glad I did this because there were many things I thought would fit in certain places and when actually fitting them they didn't fit. I have a non-standard engine so you will see things on my engine you probably don't have on your standard airplane engine. Here are the pic, things look kind of sloppy now but nothing is permanent or fastened the way it will be when finished. hope you all like them.
      This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! Is that an oil cooler on top? Too bad we can't have wood-grained firewalls! BTW Dave, do you have your ribs from Mark yet?

• Hey Frank, Yes it is an oil cooler, it will be mounted in the rear baffle. Yes I do have a rib and spar kit from Mark. I got it a long time ago. I am in the process of gathering all the wing parts and aluminum to start the wings. I hope to get the fuse all done except covering in the next few months.

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave, could you do me a favor sometime and post a couple of pictures of your ribs? Especially interested in the nose on the nose ribs and the joggles on the center and back ribs. Thanks, appreciate it!

• Hi Frank here ya go. I hope they are helpful.
      This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks Dave. Just as I suspected. Yep those are some superior ribs! I am jealous of the intact nose with the narrow flange which will support the leading edge. (As you know, the plans instruct us to trim the nose on the LSA ribs before riveting the skins.) Advanced hydroforming is what it is.

I'm curious though if the other models scratch builders do the same. Do they also trim their noses, so to speak, before riveting the skins?

And the joggle photos will definitely be useful. To joggle or not to joggle, that is the question!

Kudos to the factory!

• Hey Frank I'm happy the pic were helpful. It would be nice if Mark would put some of the pic of the ribs on his store website.

Comment

• FYI, I trimmed the nose off the ribs after I fitted and drilled the skins.

I did not joggle the ribs to better fit the spars and all worked fine.

Comment

• Frank
          Frank commented
          Editing a comment
          You have good photos in your LSA Wing document. I will follow the plans in my project. But I'm curious to know if the nose ribs are trimmed in the case of other BH models. I don't see it mentioned in Eric Newton's document. Purely a matter of curiosity.

• Hey Frank, I really haven't decided if I will cut the tips off my nose ribs yet. I think ill run that by Bob before I decide what to do. I can see both advantages and disadvantages to it.

Comment

• Frank
          Frank commented
          Editing a comment
          Dave, keep in mind you have factory ribs, not scratch build ribs. I really don't think, with that flange around the front of your nose ribs, that you are supposed to cut anything. Hopefully Mark included some information which explains the difference.

• Per the plans, the front of the nose ribs aren't flanged so couldn't be fastened to the leading edge.

I don't think one would want them just pressing against the leading edge as they could fret. So once they have assisted positioning the leading edge and making sure it is in the proper curve, I believe they would need to come off before final skin installation.

And even if they are flanged all the way around the front, not sure one wants to drive skin-to-rib rivets any further forward than the plans show as driving them where the leading edge curves the most would distort it.

But Bob's view would be the answer.

Comment

• Thanks for your input on this Brad, Since you have a flying airplane and your wings have not exploded ill probably cut the ribs. But I'm a long way from having to make that decision.

Comment

• Hey guys after buying an expensive k&n air filter I mocked up an airbox today. The reason for the shape is because my carb sits very close to the firewall. I have not decided what to build it from. Aluminum or steel. I would like to hear what you guys have to say about it. Here are the pics of my mock up. This is old school solid works. Let me know what y'all think.
            This gallery has 5 photos.
            Last edited by davzLSA; 05-23-2021, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Love your version of solid works! Same release that I use!
              I will probably fabricate my box out of sheet metal but will be watching the feedback you receive too.

Comment

• JimParker256
                JimParker256 commented
                Editing a comment
                I use a wireless version of "Pencil-CAD" myself... LOL

• Hey guys worked on my air box today. fabricated it from aluminum, working on the flapper for the hot air in the air box. Bought a shaft with pivots with bushing. The store bought shaft did not have a flat edge to it. So I made another shaft milled a flat edge on it and drilled and tapped 6/32 holes to attach the flapper valve. Box is clecoed together now. I used my special cnc weiss aviation snips!!!
              This gallery has 9 photos.

Comment

• Looks great dave!

Comment

Working...
                X