Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Install the Pitot Tube in a QB Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Install the Pitot Tube in a QB Wing

I am reluctant to just start cutting holes in the Leading Edge of the Wing. Sooo I thought I would ask for advice from builders how they installed their pitot tubes. It looks like it ought to go in the area where the lift strut comes into the wing. Thx. Rolly Clark

The idea is to keep it out of the prop wash and flap disturbance areas. Otherwise put it where you will have access to install / remove / inspect. Mine is in the outboard bay, others have put it in the bay just outboard of the strut attach with good results.

Comment

Something I saw, albeit on a Kitfox IV, on pitot placement was locating it ahead of, and near the strut attachment point.
      The thinking behind this was so that the strut would provide some protection to the tube as people walked around and under the wing.
      John Massaro
      Plans Building LSA - 091
      Arizona

Comment

Here is how I did mine on the Patrol QB
        (link removed due to URL change)

Eric Newton
        Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC
        Rugged Tailwheels for your experimental aircraft. Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC manufactures the original Bearhawk Tailwheel for bush flying.

Bearhawk Builder Manuals
        Last edited by jaredyates; 01-13-2020, 10:24 AM.
        Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
        Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
        http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Thanks to all, and to Eric for the great fotos and parts list. RC

Comment

Eric, I noticed your pitot tube looked to extend about 12" past the leading edge. Is there a minimum length for that? Is there any aeronautical principle that requires a minimum distance from the leading edge? Maybe for "clean" air?

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz View Post
              Eric, I noticed your pitot tube looked to extend about 12" past the leading edge. Is there a minimum length for that? Is there any aeronautical principle that requires a minimum distance from the leading edge? Maybe for "clean" air?
              At low speed air is incompressible, so provided it's clear of the higher pressure area around the LE, there should be no problems I'd have guessed. Lots of gliders I see have quite short pitot tubes, often bent to sh*t too. Still seem to work just fine provided the front still points forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz
                Yes - a previous builder who was an engineer type had said a long time ago that 18" was ideal - but o went with 12" and mine seems to be accurate. It has to do with air building up at slow speeds and high angle of attack.

Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC
                Bearhawk Manuals
                Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
                http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Dynon boom type recommends 18" for the same reasons. Seemed like a lot to me but works well.

Comment

Has anybody installed the leading edge boom type pitot? I would like to do so but haven’t found any references for installation. I’m not sure how to seal up the hole in the front, support the boom, etc. Any pictures/experience would be greatly appreciated!
                    Almost flying!

Comment

I did, but I don't think I would do it again.

Comment

• AKKen07
                        AKKen07 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh? Have you run into problems because of it?

It just seems that the underwing pitot is much better supported. There are plenty of mounting masts available, and it looks like if you want to have heat, that may be the only way to go. I have a heated under wing pitot standing by for installation, but just haven't had a chance to swap it out yet. When I get back to a computer I can look at my building log to try and find the photos of how I mounted the boom style pitot. It works, but it isn't particularly elegant.

Comment

Thanks Jared, after a day of reading and hunting down answers I’m thinking of changing my mind to just what you’re saying. Your experience might have convinced me.
                        Almost flying!

Comment

Hi AKKen07, I inherited my wing with a hole through the LE for the boom mount, and a combined P/S boom to match, so I thought I'd stick with it. Battson also convinced me about the merits of Dynon AOA probes, which only come with the under-wing type. So my plane will have both.

I'd always go with the under-wing type. It's easy enough to modify one of the inspection panels to accept it - search this forum and you'll see pictures of my effort, plus all the info I squeezed out of Dynon and the other builders about where to position this sort of probe. Haven't flown yet, but I'd definitely go underwing again, if only because if you change your mind / probe, you only have to change the panel, not patch the hole in the leading edge.

James
                          The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Thanks James! Your thread was part of the reason I changed my mind to go underwing. A Dynon pitot/AoA it is! Cheers
                            Almost flying!

Comment

Working...
                            X