Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunch of Good Stuff came in last week ! Radios and such. Changed my mind on instruments too. Ordered a GRT Sport 10.1 EFIS with their engine monitor, that'll be here in a few weeks. Then I can start wiring up the panel (-:
    Attached Files

Comment

I really like the GRT stuff I have, and being a native Michigander feel good about sending them my money. If you mean the engine monitor I think you do, the concept is brilliantly simple. Once setup (and that's so easy to do, you can actually change the parameters in flight) a panel mounted light glows steady if all is AOK. If it starts flashing, you have reached the upper limit of a particular function. This frees you from continually scanning multiple readouts, it's an idiot light in effect, but a good one, freeing up your attention for flying the darn plane. I have had mine flash one time, and it worked. I blew a seam in my radiator (Rotax, 2600 hours, a seam got "work hardened" due to expansion and contraction, it was a Chinese core, not now) on climbout in 8 degree temps, the flashing light got my attention instantly, and I landed without further damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Cguy View Post
        I really like the GRT stuff I have, and being a native Michigander feel good about sending them my money. If you mean the engine monitor I think you do, the concept is brilliantly simple. Once setup (and that's so easy to do, you can actually change the parameters in flight) a panel mounted light glows steady if all is AOK. If it starts flashing, you have reached the upper limit of a particular function. This frees you from continually scanning multiple readouts, it's an idiot light in effect, but a good one, freeing up your attention for flying the darn plane. I have had mine flash one time, and it worked. I blew a seam in my radiator (Rotax, 2600 hours, a seam got "work hardened" due to expansion and contraction, it was a Chinese core, not now) on climbout in 8 degree temps, the flashing light got my attention instantly, and I landed without further damage.
        I opted for the Sport 10.1 EFIS and have the engine info on that screen to declutter the panel. And yes they have great features on the engine monitor, plus a reasonable price for the equipment.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm preparing to upgrade my panel on my RANS S-6ES to add a GRT EFIS as well. But I don't have room for the 10" version, so I've been going back and forth about whether I wanted to go with the Sport EX (7" display) or the Mini-AP (4" display – just barely larger than a 3 1/2" instrument it would replace). After doing some in-depth wiring planning (assigning serial port connections to all the various functions), it turns out that I would save less than $200 by going with the Mini, versus the Sport EX. So now that decision has been made. I will integrate my current GRT engine monitor (1-wire connection) to the Sport EX, and have graphical display of all the engine-related stuff as well.
          To make panel access easier, I'm going to cut an oversized rectangular section out of the existing panel, and use a sub-panel that will contain the GRT and a couple of other instruments (Belinte Radiant Instruments "Angle-of-Attack" and "Digital Altimeter"), plus the "Low Fuel" and "EIS" warning lights. I'll post a "mockup" picture if/when I ever get my Internet connection up and running again.
          Jim Parker
          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
          RANS S-6ES – E-LSA powered by 100 HP Rotax 912ULS

Comment

I replaced my steam gauge ASI, VSI, Altimeter and compass (a compass isn't needed if you don't night fly I believe, after realizing I had NEVER looked at the compass in the last 25 years in several planes, since GPS came out, I yanked mine) and replaced them all with a GRT Mini. It works great, saved a LOT of weight and to my surprise there was no period of getting used to it, it felt "right" first flight. Plus, I can now fly blind, using the artificial horizon and turn indicator. Just kidding, but it's fun to play around with it sometimes, in VFR conditions.

Comment

• jaredyates
              jaredyates commented
              Editing a comment
              In the US, 14CFR 91.205 (b)(3) requires a magnetic direction indicator (some folks mistakenly think this means a compass) for all VFR flight, day and night. This makes sense, because a GPS can only derive your track across the ground. A fancy GPS can take your magnetically-derived heading and compute winds and drift. In our plane, I don't have a panel-mounted compass, but instead use a magnetic sensor that displays its results on the instrument screens.

Yeah, I'll have a magnetometer installed in the wingtip.

Comment

Working...
            X