Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the Game

Well a few years ago i sold my LSA quick build wings and bought a flying Rans S7s. Wasn't making any progress on the build, life got in the way, lost both my parents, stuff!

Had a great time flying the Rans 190 hours in 2 years, trip to Johnson creek, Fun. I learned what i wanted in a plane and didnt want to change up the S7 so i decided to sell it and build an LSA to include my wants.

Taking delevery of a Quick build fuselage in the near future, soon as i can arrange picking it up!

Looking forward to the ride!!!

That's great, good luck building a great airplane!

Comment

Originally posted by PropMan View Post
      I learned what i wanted in a plane and didnt want to change up the S7 so i decided to sell it and build an LSA to include my wants.

Taking delevery of a Quick build fuselage in the near future, soon as i can arrange picking it up!

Looking forward to the ride!!!
      Tell us what you mean by this. What does the LSA give you that is absent in the S7?
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post

Tell us what you mean by this. What does the LSA give you that is absent in the S7?
        Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly Enjoyed the S7.
        Many small things added up to this decision.
        1. I didn't build the S7 , so I didn't have the Repairman Cert.
        2. I can build the LSA for a min of 20K less than i sold the S7 for.
        3. LSA Climbs much better(1500fpm) on the same 100HP Vs. (900-1100fpm)
        4. LSA is a bit faster(5-10mph)
        5. Holds more gas, 28 gallons vs 26
        6. Higher gross wt.
        7. I wanted a bit different panel, and that would mean reworking the entire panel on the S7.Possibly the whole electrical system

For me the big ones are the 20K in my bank, Repairman cert, and the Panel i want. all the other are just icing on the cake (-:
        Last edited by PropMan; 12-02-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Sounds good. I would point out though that the larger fuel capacity will be needed, as nothing comes close to a Rotax 912's fuel burn. My A-65 in my T-Craft I flew for over 100 hours, had almost as good but not quite, and when all was said and a lot less thrust. The higher gross weight of the LSA is for sure a real inducement to trade up, assuming you need it. The repairman cert is a huge deal also. Sounds like you came out OK financially on the Rans, that's always a good thing! And it's always better to "roll your own" versus something that someone else built just a lot more satisfying . Though I have had no real issues with the MIG welded Rans air frame on my S-7S, I do like the idea of the gas welded one on the LSA a bit better.

Comment

Picked up the Quickbuild Fuselage today. Very impressed with the kit and its always a pleasure to visit with Mark. Time to get busy
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Hey, what's this? The LSA now comes with that nifty castor wheel stand thing?

These kits just get better and better!
              The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

• robcaldwell
                robcaldwell commented
                Editing a comment
                I think that's the standard shipping support bracket sitting on a Harbor Freight moving dolly.

• James
                James commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, well - I saw a pretty recent BH four-place kit the other day, and as I looked at it, all I could think about was how many hours I'd spent doing jobs that now are done for you straight out of the kit :-) I felt like some old guy complaining about how easy kids have it nowadays!

Is there a thread somewhere on this forum "How to explain to my family that I'd like to build a second bearhawk" ?

• PropMan
                PropMan commented
                Editing a comment
                James, I feel your pain. I built an early RV6. Then pre punch hole came out, then matched hole. LOL

Glad I'm on the receiving end of kit upgrades this time!

Bits and pieces, Got the gear fit, some controls and the rudder. need to order a couple parts for the wheels and they will be installed. Also waiting on the tailwheel!
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• davzLSA
                davzLSA commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Prop man what are you planning to use for an engine?

Started on the three blade prop for my LSA and heres a shot of the makeshift press to assemble the shock struts
              Attached Files

Comment

Great progress! In watching the dates on your posts, how long after you sent your deposit in did it take to take delivery?
                I like the aft A-frame gear leg structure, meant for fabric/fairing the rear, a very nice touch and one many who cover their gear neglect to do (not me.)

Comment

• PropMan
                  PropMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They had a Quick build kit in stock. Got it in a couple days. Gonna get done asap, I'm missing having a flying plane something awful.

Do you build props as a business? Otherwise seems like quite a task to take on.

Comment

• PropMan
                  PropMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes sir, at least for a few more months, I'll be passing the craft on to others soon. been a great 12 years.

Spent an hour last night fitting and finding the parts for the Horizontal stab and elevator. waiting on tail wires, supposed to be here end of December. I was lucky enough to get a set from Steen Aero Lab
                Attached Files

Comment

Tailwheel came in, got it installed, really not much to it(the install that is) The tailwheel is awesome. Everything fits perfectly! 😀
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PropMan; 12-01-2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Another Big piece of the puzzle today. And Ordered an O200 from Bob too!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nothing better then a shipping crate that can be re-purposed: lot's of good sq tube there. Those wings look great.

Comment

Working...
                      X