Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent a couple hours reworking the stringer standoffs and center support, which will now support the skylight, welded in new locations. Just need a few tabs to secure the rear track for the lexan.
    Attached Files

Comment

You probably know this, but those big skylights, like the S-7 has and I guess the BH LSA, has, are great, BUT....it's also nice to have a easy way to block some of the sun off you noggin. In my 7, I have a scrap of the foil bubble foil stuff insulation. Weighs nothing, free. I just put mine up for the summer a couple days ago, and wouldn't you know it as i was flying up a canyon i saw a plane's shadow, not mine, looked up, and couldn't see up! They make fancy pleated blinds, that quickly retract, but the foil stuff pops out pretty quick if needed also. Spring, fall, and winter I love the full skylight.

Comment

• PropMan
        PropMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, with my S7 I enjoyed the vis, heat wasn't too bad. But I'm used to that here in Texas (-:

I purchased these for my skylight. They work great and fit perfectly between the stringers. https://www.amazon.com/kinder-Fluff-...ef_=ast_sto_dp
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• PropMan
        PropMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a nice size, thanks

Making progress, seat bottoms covered with. 020 and backs .016 aluminum. ELT tray and antena bracket welded in place, and stringers cut and drilled to fit.
      Attached Files

Comment

• davzLSA
        davzLSA commented
        Editing a comment
        your elt might work better if you had a bigger ground plane under the antenna.

• PropMan
        PropMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I was concerned about that also, so I called ACK and explained my install and was told as long as the antenna is grounded to the tubing the entire fuselage will be the ground pane.

2021 Oshkosh behind us and building in front! Gettin it done!
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it's coming along nicely! I am really starting to strongly consider the LSA.

Comment

Yeah, It's been a while since I've posted. Not a lot of progress since Oshkosh. But, with the grass not growing an dark coming early there's lots more time to build! Got the wings drilled to the fuselage, stringers drilled, fuel lines made up. Decided to use nut plates for floor attach, so that was done today. Also decided to paint the fuselage tubing a dark gray to match my selected paint, this meant taking everything off the fuse for prep an paint. did that today also, tomorrow will scuff and paint. If all goes well I will be working on the boot cowl, windows, door, next week. Made a short video of my mess (-:

Comment

Frank,
            Would you mind sharing what equipment you ended up choosing for your panel? I saw that you are going with the GRT 10.1" display but not sure about the rest. Also, would you mind measuring the height of your LSA QB panel and sharing that dimension? From the plans, it looked to me like it was 10" but your layout makes me think it must me less than 10".
            David

Comment

Originally posted by David Swartzendruber View Post
              Frank,
              Would you mind sharing what equipment you ended up choosing for your panel? I saw that you are going with the GRT 10.1" display but not sure about the rest. Also, would you mind measuring the height of your LSA QB panel and sharing that dimension? From the plans, it looked to me like it was 10" but your layout makes me think it must me less than 10".
              David
              David, I'm installing the GRT 10.1 Sport with synthetic vision option and their engine monitor, but will have the engine info talking to the Sport so to save panel space. Radios will be Trig TY92 and Trig TT22. Going to use breaker switches to save panel space also. The panel is 9" tall and the Sport needs 7" height for install, so it just fits. here's a pic of what i think the panel will look like.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PropMan View Post

David, I'm installing the GRT 10.1 Sport with synthetic vision option and their engine monitor, but will have the engine info talking to the Sport so to save panel space. Radios will be Trig TY92 and Trig TT22. Going to use breaker switches to save panel space also. The panel is 9" tall and the Sport needs 7" height for install, so it just fits. here's a pic of what i think the panel will look like.
                Frank, I've been looking at how the 7" GRT would fit. I've attached a layout that I did. This would use the basic engine monitoring option and no EIS.
                Attached Files

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
                  David Swartzendruber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I forgot to go by the GRT booth at Osh this year. I'll have to remember to do that next year. With the 10.1, are the numbers actually bigger or is there just room for more information on the screen at the same time?

• PropMan
                  PropMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The numbers are the same or very close, but the maps and synthetic vision are larger. screen isn't as cluttered with all the info either.

• David Swartzendruber
                  David Swartzendruber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After you have some flight experience with it, I'll ask you how you like the 10.1 GRT. I'm still two years out from making a decision. It appears that you decided not to rely on remotely controlling the transponder and radio through the GRT display since you are including the Trig control heads.

Finished the touch up paint on the fuselage tubing I wanted a darker gray. Started riveting nut plates on. Sure hope this is the last time the fuselage is bare bones. Excited I get to start installing permanent parts
                Attached Files

Comment

Got the stringers, formers, rear skylight attach installed, and started on skinning the door!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wasn't happy with the first skin so did a second one. So far so good (-:
                    Had a visitor trying to destract me O:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Left window assembly fit and drilled, started on the right window also!
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am doing my doors at this time as well on a 4 place. I powered up the electrical system for the first time a few months ago. I have a GRT 10.1 Horizon. I have zero experience with any GA glass stuff, only airline and military. The little bit I played with it, it was extremely easy and intuitive. Of course, other than installation instructions, I haven't spent 2 seconds glancing at the operating instructions. But it seems pretty intuitive.

Comment

• PropMan
                          PropMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I had a Dynon Skyview Touch in my Rans S7s, Owned that plane for two years and sold it to finance the LSA. That was my first exposure to a Glass panel and started looking at my options for this build. Found GRT, ordered the Sport EX and about two days later upgraded to the 10.1 Sport, lol
                          I decided to get the plane covered and painted then do the panel install, so all my electronics are still on a shelf waiting on me.
                      Working...
                      X