Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extended Baggage Area for Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Baggage Area for Patrol

It was mentioned in another thread that the Patrol area of the forum has been lacking some activity. So let me contribute....

I kind of like some aspects of the much inferior Super Cub, and am a little jealous of an extended Baggage area that some are installing in that aircraft. The area behind the Patrol's baggage area, between stations F-G is 29 inches deep. It has a big V separating it from the baggage area. The flap cable junction plate and hardware is at the big V. Also, the elevator push-pull tube penetrates the bottom aft portion of the floor.

Despite those obstacles, It seems like something could be done with all that space to stow sleeping bags, fishing rods, position the lower unit of a small O.B Boat Motor. The Cub Crafter extended baggage accommodates 20 pounds. Has anyone else thought about it?
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 11-02-2018, 07:11 PM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I’m definitely planning on adding some form of extended baggage to my flying patrol. My initial thought was to add it to the location that you mention, above the V where the cables intersect, I already have an access door built into this area. This compartment would be limited by the depth of the compartment aft of the rear bulkhead. Initially, I thought a carbon fiber or sheet metal tube extending back to the next station aft would be my solutiion. It’s only 29” (right?) which results in most stowed items extending forward into the baggage compartment behind the rear seat. This can be avoided by building the compartment to extend even further back into the empennage. Either way, with the tube mounted up high, above the V, you have a projectile that could be a potential issue. Maybe a good net could mitigate this problem.

Alternatively, the compartment could be built on the floor level of the baggage compartment which allows you to stow longer items by storing the aft 29” of the item in the tube and the remaining length on the floor of the baggage compartment. This is how I had my C180 configured and it was perfect. You can stow heavier items and you don’t have the “projectile” issue. The problem with the Patrol in this configuration is that you would probably have to remove the rear seat every time you wanted to load or unload the item, depending on the cargo. Not a problem, but not ideal.

Currently, my plan is to do the latter, install a tube down the right side of the empennage on the level of the baggage compartment’s floor. This tube will be notched for the starboard rudder cables so there is no conflict and I will have to relocate one of my static ports. As for rear seat removal, based on past experience, the frequency of this compartment’s use of an item that requires both the tube and the baggage floor will be low (and the seat is extremely easy to remove anyway).

These are my thoughts, I would love to hear alternatives. What are you doing, planning on doing, have done?

thanks, Mike

Comment

I would look at putting a pod underneath

Comment

I know of one Patrol builder that is making a cargo pod for underneath. A lightweight tube extending aft has been done on several 4 place Bearhawks. It would seem that a tube could be secured well enough that it would not become a projectile as Mike mentioned. There is already a fairly big cargo area in the Patrol. But if you need or want more there are couple ways to approach it. Mark

Comment

I did this extension for my tie down kit and tool bag. It goes back about 29 " and is made from sheet aluminum. I was going to make a longer tube up higher between the V for a rifle, but haven't made it yet. I have decided to make it bigger, which will require a bigger, rectangular shaped door than the door that I already have there. I'm going to make it big enough for my tent. I could just take a smaller tent but I like the big tent that I have that is too big to fit in the baggage area (too tall to even stand in the back) It will easily connect to the fuselage tubing on top of the frame and hang in there. I don't think I'm even going to connect it to the bulkhead. There might be a half inch or so gap in between the front of the compartment I'm going to make and the bulkhead wall but that's on, nothing I'm going to put in there can escape through that gap. It will go back 48" into the tail and will be 10" X 12". I will have to get back in there again to see which way it will have to mount but I'm thinking 12" tall by 10" wide. I was going to order sheet metal to make it out of the other day but the shipping on the aprox $40 piece of metal was going to be close to $100. I'll have to find a local source. The one local place I know only goes as thin as .032 and I want to go lighter, like .025, plus they don't even know what type of aluminum it is.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Rollie VanDorn
          Findlay, OH
          Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I have a lightweight (26 oz) baggage tube for light items 8" round X 44" above the V behind the cargo door/bulkhead. I would like to mount something for a tool kit and maybe a few other heavier items down low. I was just going to mount a tool box between Station F and G on the floor, but there sure is a bunch of space back there for other things. I am covering the fuselage and want to decide on this before I cover the sides.

I think I may do a smaller diameter tube mounted to the floor behind the cargo door. 6 or 7 inches by about 28". 20 or 25 lbs of tools etc that I don't need access to every flight. Maybe even a gallon or so of water for emergencies (or the adult kind). Should help with CG when I am light, and the water can be dumped and the tool kit put under the front left seat if flying heavy.

Electric flaps sure would free up a bunch of space back there.

Comment

We decided to put an extended baggage in our Patrol. After lots of brainstorming, we came to the conclusion that we did not want it between the V brace at the back of the baggage compartment. As Mark mentioned above, the chances of something becoming a projectile (towards my back or head) was too high for our liking. I welded an additional rudder cable fairlead on the fuselage section behind the baggage compartment, then formed the extended baggage area out of aluminum, allowing room for the rudder cable to move beside it. It created a very nice place to mount the ELT, and easily cleared the flap cables and elevator pushrod.
              This gallery has 6 photos.
              Last edited by joehmason; 08-13-2020, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• JimParker256
                JimParker256 commented
                Editing a comment
                Joe, how do you plan to access the ELT every year to check / replace the batteries? (Something my A&P/IA buddy keeps hammering home to me - "How will you maintain it after it's completed?"

• joehmason
                joehmason commented
                Editing a comment
                I have not made it yet, but there will be an access door just above the opening of the extended baggage area.
                Last edited by joehmason; 08-13-2020, 12:17 AM.

• Sir Newton
                Sir Newton commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for posting!

Quick trip to Lowe's, 7" concrete form for 6 bucks. Cut to length, split it down the length with a jigsaw (so you can remove it later), cover with wax paper, and a layer of heavy Kevlar and a layer of heavy CF. I laid out the fabric 1 at a time, applied epoxy, and squeezed every last half ounce and then applied it to the tube. If I had done both together, the heavy fabric would have retained a half a pound or more of extra resin. I put the Kevlar on the inside so when I stick my arm in it I don't get CF fibers embedded in my arm.

So far, about 50 dollars. 40 for cloth, less than 10 of resin. I had all of it already, and scraps will be used for the rest. I figure I would need most of a 4X4 sheet of .025 or .020 AL to make the same tube plus 2 or 3 formers. 48.50 for the AL at Spruce, and I would have had to have it shipped ($$$)

I think the weight would have been very close with AL. No advantage for either in this case, except in my case I already had the material.

This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I am kind of eye-balling the other side behind the cargo bulkhead. I can't think of what I might need it for now, but once it is covered working back there is a lot tougher. I might go ahead and weld 5 or 6 more tabs on the tubing back there and install nut plates in case I decide to use that space later.

Comment

We all have different ideas. I like your tube and enjoy seeing what your imagination comes up with for a composition mold.

I am imagining a net tied to the upper longerorns to hold the big lightweight stuff aft of the bulkhead. The fly rod tube gets tied down to the upper longhorns too.
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I almost went with a big bag for the upper baggage tube. It was a bit of a coin toss.

Different strokes, Four years ago while building my Bearhawk LSA I made a extended baggage compartment. Stinger
                  Attached Files

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The 4 place and I think Patrol have the flap cable forming a big Y right behind the normal cargo bulkhead. Your solution would be my preference as well but would need to go to electric flaps, which I still think is a good idea.
                Working...
                X