Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conduit for wiring in wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conduit for wiring in wings

I am wondering what builders are using for tubing to house the electrical wiring as it passes thru the wing.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I used PEX from Home Depot

Comment

Ooo, PEX is a good idea. I was considering some Nylaflow but I hadn't looked if it was available in larger diameters. Browsing McMaster though it looks like they have some thin-walled (1/32") nylon tube for under $1/ft for 1/2" OD. Might go that route, I like the thinner wall compared to PEX or PVC readily available locally.
      Last edited by Archer39J; 11-13-2018, 04:26 PM. Reason: speiling
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by mswain View Post
        I used PEX from Home Depot
        The red stuff only works in the left wing. I don’t know what you’d use in the right wing.
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

The builder of my wings used thin wall sprinkler pipe. I’m not to thrilled about it but it would have been a pain to replace.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

The PEX is available in 20ft lengths, so you can go from the root to tip easily

Comment

I have seen some 1/4" PEX. Might be all you need (or me) for 3 or 4 20 ga wires. Actually I can't remember if it was called PEX, but it was in the plumbing section of Home Despot.

Comment

I also used pex from home depot they also had some really nice fittings that allowed easy attachment every few ribs

Comment

• Archer39J
                  Archer39J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What fittings did you use, I can't seem to find any that look like they would work well?

After researching a bit I settled on some 3/8" OD Sharkbite PEX: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

Dennis and I picked up some tubing from the lawn sprinkler department in Home Depot, or maybe it was Jerry's. ( We have those in Oregon). It came in a 50ft roll and very cheap. We tie wrapped it to the rib holes with extra protection for the sharp edge. It just didn't seem right to let it lay there and possibly chafe on the metal. Was NOT easy to do though. You'll want to get somebody who has small arms and flexible fingers, and still it's not easy!!
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• interstate al
                    interstate al commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Donna, Did you tie wrap at every rib? I used similar clear plastic tube and only tie wrapped two ribs on each end.

I used black corrugated tubing from Vans, 3/4"and very light weight, rolled up for shipping.

Comment

Thanks Everyone!
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

No conduit. Wire bundle properly identified and tied off at rib locations. Make sure your conduit is not flammable. It passes right by the fuel system. Boeing doesn't use conduit that I'm aware of, that good enough for me. Plus if it's not there it doesn't weigh anything.
                      Just my .02.
                      Gerry
                      Patrol #30

Comment

I just drilled holes and used grommets.

Comment

Whatever you do, run some thin nylon cord (a piece a little longer than the wire run) along with the wiring, and tie it off at both ends. That way, if you ever need to run another wire through the wing, it will be easy to do so. You never know what changes might occur that would lead you to want to have just one or two more wires at the wingtip... I would do this even if I had no plans to install position lights. The next owner might want them...
                          Jim Parker
                          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
                          X