Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleveland 199-62 wheels and brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland 199-62 wheels and brakes

Anyone successfully mounted a set of these on the standard Patrol gear leg? The wheel fits fine but when I insert the brake caliper into the torque plate, the pins only go in about 50% of their length before the brake lining hits the brake disk. This is not good because the inserted length get's shorter as the brake linings wear. The Cleveland supplied drawing shows that the pins should insert their full length.

I could install a spacer on the axle to move the wheel out to provide the proper pin depth, but then there would not be enough axle thread left to install the wheel nut. Am I missing something?

Ron.
    P131

The axles should have the 1 5/8" spacer welded on it that is supposed to place your wheels so the brakes can work and also have enough threads (barely) for the axle nut. Not sure what you are seeing. Mark

Comment

Is there any chance that the torque plates are reversed? I was putting mine together the other day and started out with one on that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates
        Is there any chance that the torque plates are reversed? I was putting mine together the other day and started out with one on that way.
        This is my initial thought too. The torque plates are shaped/bent to keep the caliper offset. I am running the AKB 199-62 kit on my 4-place QB.
        Last edited by Zzz; 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM. Reason: Running 3-bolt not 6-bolt

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help! I tried reversing the torque plate but that makes it worse. But I think I have the mystery solved. My post purchase research finds that most of the 199-62 kits come with brake disc No. 164-0501 which is 2.355" deep. One version which is sold as a conversion for Cessna 180/185 comes with brake disc No. 164-03601 which is 2.597" deep. Apparently the 180/185 have extra long axles. Guess which one I have! So will order a set of 164-0501's (and will endeavor to do a more thorough research BEFORE purchasing next time). Take care.

Ron.

Comment

So to close out this topic, I got my new 164-01501 brake discs in and you can easily see the difference. The caliper snugs up nicely with the 1501's. I went with Rapco since they are about half the cost of the Clevelands. Also, when I sent an email to technical support of both companies, I got a response back from Rapco in about one hour. I still have not heard back from Cleveland.

Ron
            P131 DiscComp.jpg

Comment

Good info Ron, thanks for reporting it!

Comment

Thanks Ron, I'm just running into a clearance problem with the larger tires and the shorter brake disk, with the whole story here:
                https://www.backcountrypilot.org/for...-caliper-17861

Comment

I wanted to bring these posts to date, as I'm dealing with this at the moment and there is very good information here.

Comment

Working...
                  X