Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Pedal Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Pedal Position

Like an excited builder I mounted the seats and controls as soon as possible and took a quick mental flight to the sky. The ergonomics generally felt great. Only the brake pedals seem to be very steep. Is this typically something people adjust by shortening the extension rod? Or are the brakes used by repositioning the foot up and down?

On all the airplanes I currently fly I can comfortably position the ball of the foot on the rudder pedal and the toes on the brake. I can select between rudder only, brakes only, rudder with brakes without repositioning my foot.

To achieve this it seems to me the extension rod would have to be quite a bit shorter. Am I missing something?

Screenshot 2021-07-21 093101.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-21 090622.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-21 090806.jpg
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Stephan, mine is a 4-place Bravo so there may be some differences. However I just fine tuned my pedals yesterday because they were also too steep, and full brake meant the cylinders touched the firewall.

It was very easy to do by changing the position the rudder cable attaches to the pedal. It pulled the pedal forward (towards the pilot), and the brake pedal went back (away from the pilot). Now it’s all quite ergonomic. I’m guessing you’ll find the same once you get the cables in place.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• noema
      noema commented
      Editing a comment
      There seems to be a bit of adjustability but not nearly enough on the Patrol.

You can just shorten the fitting that attaches the rod to the pedal. It took me a few tries to get it where I wanted it.

Comment

Yes, on the Patrol & LSA it is common to shorten that aluminum clevis end piece to get the brake pedals at an angle/position you like. If the ends of the threads get a little messed up when you cut the piece - you can pass a tap through it to straighten up the threads. Mark

Comment

• noema
        noema commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know, simple enough. Thx.

Curious as to what master cylinders your using. Wicks has a sale on right now. Cleveland CWB10-55, 8.750 installed length, 1.5" stroke. $250 each. I'm away from home so can't check my drawings to see if it's a possible match. Any opinions?
      Thx
      Gerry
      Patrol #30

Comment

Brave move posting a photo of camo crocs

Comment

• noema
          noema commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought you guys would understand.

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          The struggle is real

When you install and rig your rudder cables you can select a length that puts the brake pedals in a much more vertical position than you have shown. Here is how mine ended up.
        Patrol Brakes.JPG

Comment

• noema
          noema commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks good, angle-wise. I certainly will have to chop a bit of the clevis pin to get it to this geometry.

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          I chopped mine too.
      Working...
      X