Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control stick torque tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stinger View Post
    The problem is this subject was brought up three years ago and the fix was noted . New builders don't get the information . I recall Mark actually had the factory joggle the bracket as Brooks picture shows but one does need two install a small washer on each side of the bearing to keep the rod end centered . There should NOT be any movement of the rod end threads , the jam nut should be secured allowing only the bearing to do its job . Stinger
    Annual inspection 135 hrs. Upon inspection I found rod end bearing GMM-3m-680 jam nut loose and rod end rotating inside push pull rod threaded area. NOT GOOD . Stick movement left and right caused bearing outer surface to make contact with inside of idler bell crank causing it to come loose. Repair: installed spacers , one on

I have just about finished my fuselage and i am wondering about the pushrod from the control stick to the idler arm. The end at the stick is fixed and the end

Comment

• DBeaulieu
      DBeaulieu commented
      Editing a comment
      FYI, I received my Q/B fuselage kit 5 months ago and the idler arm has not been joggled. I am not at the point where I can say whether or not it is a problem. I would like to see a jam nut on that rod end bearing. I'm thinking that idler arm could possibly be made with a 3/4 or 7/8 tube versus 5/8 and then spacers for the thru bolt as required would give the clearance.

well i think the problem is that the rod end shipping with the kit is different now. look at Brooks picture. there is no shoulder on the joint, allowing it to pivot much more with a spacer installed. now look at the drawing of the joint I got. it has a shoulder that limits travel. that’s the issue.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Knowing how much movement is required is difficult until you actually have your ailerons hooked up and moving. Over the years I have been told that there wasn't enough movement of stick or stick assy. But it was pretty much always builders who did not have their ailerons actually hooked up. On the LSA & Patrol, when the controls are fully hooked up there is usually more travel than spec'd on the plans and stops have to be installed. Mark

We will see once everything is rigged but the calculated angular displacement at the stick, based on the bellcrank ratio stack up, is about +/-13 degrees needed with no margin.

Comment

Working...
    X