Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important: Let's Talk About Not Bending Bearhawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important: Let's Talk About Not Bending Bearhawks

The following is general information and does not address the circumstances of specific mishaps. I offer the information from the perspective of a Flight Instructor and EAA Flight Advisor, and constant student of tailwheel operations. This isn't a safety update from Bob, just me talking.

Something worth noticing is that the most common way to bend a Bearhawk is to lose directional control on the ground (one example is the “ground loop”). Let’s invent an acronym for Loss of Directional Control on the Ground, LDCOG. There have been three fatal mishaps in Bearhawks that I know of, and none of them have been related to LDCOG. However, there have been over a dozen LDCOG cases, perhaps as many as two dozen. We don’t know exactly how many there have been, for several reasons, but by far LDCOG is the biggest threat to a Bearhawk. Thankfully these mishaps are usually not as bad for the occupants as they are for the airplane, but in some cases LDCOG has resulted in serious injuries to people. In almost all cases they result in serious injuries to bank accounts.

Is the Bearhawk a “problem child” design for LDCOG risk? We can’t answer that without defining the children in the family. Among tailwheel airplanes, the Bearhawks are not problem children- they are the shining star children on their best behavior. But if we include tricycles in the family, the Bearhawk, and all other tailwheel airplanes, pose a high threat for LDCOG.
    There have been Bearhawk LDCOG mishaps that could be credited with construction errors such as main wheel alignment, but by far and away the most common cause of LDCOG, and thus the most common cause of all Bearhawk mishaps, is the pilot’s choice to operate in conditions that exceed that pilot’s ability to control the airplane.

Is LDCOG related to experience? LDCOG isn’t directly caused by a lack of experience, but rather by a lack of competence for the conditions and/or a lack of good decision-making. Inexperienced pilots (less than, say, 50 hours in type) are at a high risk for lacking competence and decision-making, but the statistics show us that pilots with a very wide range of experience levels are quite capable of LDCOG mishaps. It may take a 30-knot gust to topple a 1000-hours-in-type pilot compared to a 10-knot gust for a 10-hour pilot, but regardless of pilot experience, Bearhawks can (and will) encounter environmental conditions that even the best Bearhawk pilot in the world can’t overcome, except by electing not to fly. The superior pilot uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill.

Are LDCOG mishaps inevitable in tailwheel airplanes? Data shows that LDCOG is common in taildraggers. Let’s use that data to motivate ourselves to fix the problem! Let’s consider the threat each and every time we untie the airplane. But let’s not accept that it’s normal or acceptable. Let’s find a way to truly embrace the possibility that “it can happen to me” without resigning and normalizing it.

How do we prevent LDCOG? The low-hanging fruit in the orchard of solutions is in improving pilot Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM) and in improving kinesthetic Skill (reflexes).
    We improve ADM by:
    -Constantly striving to study previous mishaps, and fostering a safety culture that encourages pilots to share about their mistakes so that we can all learn.
    -Making high-integrity assessments of our pilot abilities before each operation.
    -Making high-fidelity assessments of the conditions before we fly into them.
    -Expanding our exposure to risky conditions in an incremental way, a little at a time.
    -Always being ready to change the plan by diverting to a better environment or canceling the flight. Better environments for LDCOG include: less wind, less gusts, better wind alignment with the runway, bigger runways, grass instead of pavement, etc.
    -Reading books, newsletters and articles
    We improve our skills by:
    -Flying frequently (legally current isn’t always good enough)
    -Flying with and around people who will give us honest calibration about how we assess our skill level and the conditions
    -Expanding our exposure to risky conditions in an incremental way

Keep in mind:
    Experience is something you get right after you need it. Survival of yourself, your passengers, and your airplane depends on keeping the steps small and the gaps in check, so that our shortfalls don’t lead to an outcome as bad as wrecking the airplane or hurting someone.

As Bearhawk stakeholders we must all work to cultivate a safety culture and safe operations, lest we find ourselves owners of uninsurable airplanes, or worse, before we lose any of our Bearhawk friends.

Statistics show that pilots with high total time, but low tailwheel time, are especially vulnerable. If you find yourself in this category, proceed with extreme caution and humility.

One problem with forums is that we don't always know what experience level a poster has. Sometimes a poster speaks from an authoritative position and unless we know the person, we don't know if they have the experience to support that authority. I've waffled about how to best handle this especially in this thread, but based on our impressively mature group I'm thinking the best is to ask that if you'd like to reply here about flying technique, please include your total Bearhawk time and tailwheel time in your first reply, so that we can know where you are coming from. I'll start, I have 500 hours in Bearhawks and 550 tailwheel. Approximately 20 hours and 200 landings of dual given in type. There are certainly many more experienced folks around here that I hope we may hear from. Let's talk about it!
    Last edited by jaredyates; 08-31-2023, 09:31 PM.

Great idea! As I await my kit, this topic (LDCOG) has been a common refrain in the back of my mind. I absolutely fit into the "vunerable category"Jared refers to. Looking forward to finally having my own tailwheel aircraft and learning a new skill to enjoy flying it!

Comment

Very well written Jared! I have :30 min Bearhawk and 100 hours tailwheel. Do you have an offhand guess on how many were on takeoff and how many were during landing? I bought my first tailwheel last year (to prep for the Bearhawk while building.) It's a 1948 Stinson 108-3 4 place. In my 100 hours of experience in it I intentionally didn't put myself into a crosswind until the last 25 or so hours. I fear the ground loop! The only time my airplane scared the crap out of me was not on a landing, but a takeoff. I had no choice but to stop for gas and the windsock was straight out with a direct crosswind. I set it down to a surprisingly benign landing. On departure I raised the tail a little early as I have done so many times during my calm wind departures. The crosswind grabbed me, turned me hard and I fought the brakes during an abort and barely escaped a ground loop I believe. It rattled me! Then I thought to myself "that's why my instructor told me to keep the tail stuck to the ground." On the next attempt I held the tail on the ground as long as practical and it was surprisingly easy. All the difference in the world. That little bit of technique (error) almost hurt me pretty bad! I share this in case it might help someone else. So are there many ground loops during departure? What's the ratio? Thanks! Brad
      Last edited by Brad Ripp; 06-30-2023, 02:59 PM.

Comment

As a 200 hr Bearhawk time and 2000 plus hours taildragger time instructor I would say If there is one single thing that increases your risk of accident it is seal. Stay off it. Grass is way more forgiving.

Also, don’t do touch and go, stop and go yes. There is too much to distract you with trim and flap to change. Stop, breathe through your nose and sort it out. Then take off.

I can’t emphasise enough the importance of correct control use at all times but especially in X winds, make sure you have had good instruction and are competent and current.

If you are on top of your game seal maybe OK to use but understand you are increasing your risk of being punished if your technique is not quite right, or your reaction to yaw not quick enough.

Lazy feet are the root of many a mishap, Airline pilots beware.

The Bearhawk is one of the best mannered taildraggers there is but make sure your gear track is correct as has been pointed out.

Also make sure you have mastered the 3 point before you move on to wheelers, again get good instruction

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree - the Bearhawk is considerably more 'touchy' to handle on seal - because it responds so quickly. I guess the same is true for most tailwheel aircraft.

Statistics show that pilots with high total time, but low tailwheel time, are especially vulnerable.
        This described my position accurately, particularly when beginning the test flying program on my Bearhawk. The previous 15,000 hours didn't help much while learning to fly a tailwheel aircraft, so to begin with I got 30 hours of tailwheel instruction in a Piper Cub right before flying my BH to set me on the right course with the right habits. I've now accumulated an additional 230 hours and 1030 Takeoffs & Landings on the Bearhawk and renewed my instructors rating on it.

I'd reinforce Grants point above (and all others) regarding the importance of correct control use. The biggest issue I found was when I started flying in a crosswind. It's amplified in a tailwheel aircraft and because of the tail-draggers CG being aft of the main wheels, any crosswind tends to cause the aircraft to turn into wind during the take-off or landing roll. Keeping the control stick (ailerons) into wind and steering straight with rudder (proper crosswind technique, not brakes) allows the down going aileron to increase drag and assists in countering the turning force.

Stay off tar seal. Get good tail-wheel instruction. Having test pilot privileges for our Bearhawks can be a double edged sword.
        Last edited by Nev; 06-30-2023, 10:39 PM.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

It would be helpful if any of those who have experienced incidents could shed any insight so others don’t suffer the same misfortune.

There are two things at stake here. One is that we don’t want to see aircraft bent, the other is that we don’t want to lose the ability to insure them, or at least at a reasonable cost.

Comment

Well I guess Jared will have his hands full for 5 hours of dual instruction in August with this 93 hour total/93 hour TW pilot
            N678C
            https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
            Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              Nonetheless Jay, Kudos to you for getting quality instruction. In addition to learning from Jared about the handling, he'll also pass onto to you what he has learned about the systems etc and that's priceless.

It would be helpful if any of those who have experienced incidents could shed any insight so others don’t suffer the same misfortune.​
            Also to Jared's point above regarding someone posting from a position of authority, it's very helpful to others to know their experience and background.
            Last edited by Nev; 06-30-2023, 10:40 PM.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

Comment

The advantage a low time pilot has is that if they seek quality instruction and learn good techniques that’s how they fly and what they build on. Reverting to primacy training under stress when a pilot starts load shedding is a thing.

There are plenty of high time pilots with poor technique and or judgment, it’s much harder for them to unlearn that and retrain.

Utah Jay is a perfect example of a low time guy engaging good training from Jared who I’m sure will be happy to mentor his transition into his new build when the time comes. The advantage of doing this can be setting parameters around conditions eg, I think you’re good to operate on this strip in up to x knots of wind or at y DA or whatever. When the time comes to advance have a conversation or go for another dual flight.

The worst thing I have seen is a pilot take his new build (not a Bearhawk) out on the seal in difficult winds, wrecked it on first flight.

Comment

• Nev
                Nev commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd second this. Habits are hard to change, and easier to develop good ones at the start.

Well said Jared and there is wisdom in your guidance.

I will keep this short.
              Very honored and privileged to have been flying Bearhawks for 15 years.
              Have been mentored by the best.
              1500 hr total time
              800 hrs tail dragger
              200 hrs Bearhawk
              200 + Bearhawk landings

4 LODCOG events.

1 On Takeoff, structural failure of right rudder pedal cable attachment arm. Arm not welded as clearly shown on the plans. No damage to aircraft, changed underwear, fixed plane, good to go.

1 On Takeoff, un aware that damp green grass provides no lateral resistance to 250 hp at low speeds and gets less as the plane lightens. A moment never to be repeated.

1 On Landing, grass much taller that estimated, tangled up left gear pulling aircraft to the left off runway. Cosmetic blemishes, severe pride damage.

1 On Landing, Pavement ( Seal Tar ) Left X wind, Right gear folded under. Aircraft did not depart runway. Did not ground loop. Pavement and big tires are unforgivable of any lateral drift. Humbling.
              It happened in a millisecond, and I still can hear the grinding sound........MoJo still bruised. Valuable lesson learned.

None of the above were the airplanes fault.

Kevin D
              KCHD

Comment

• Nev
                Nev commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Kev. Always appreciate your posts.

• Bissetg
                Bissetg commented
                Editing a comment
                That is excellent feedback Kevin. With the benefit of hindsight is there anything you could suggest to a similar pilot that help them avoid these experiences. For instance would have having the ability to chat to another pilot have helped or not, better training, or anything else?
                Last edited by Bissetg; 06-30-2023, 11:26 PM. Reason: Finger trouble

• schu
                schu commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Kevin.

The first 3 make sense, the last one is puzzling. How did the gear fold up without a ground loop? How big of tires? What is not forgiving about it? Where I live it’s pavement only so I have a lot of pavement landings in my 170 on Goodyear 26’s. I wonder if the Bearhawk on 31’s will be more or less forgiving.

Also, I nearly always wheel land because it’s easier to see, but someone else was saying that the Bearhawk is more stable in 3 pt on pavement. That doesn’t make sense to me.

More information please.

Just to add, I sought out backcountry training up in Idaho early in my still early flying career. I am all about learning and increasing skills. I have some cool videos on my linked youtube channel.
              N678C
              https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
              Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Last November I added a blog post to the Bearhawk Blog website titled Loss of Directional Control on Landing. This was after perusing the NTSB database and observing 19 reported loss of directional control on landing accidents on Bearhawks in the USA alone.

At the time I had conversations with several Bearhawk/tailwheel instructors and formulated a list of precautions that might help reduce these events.

The FAA also produce an excellent introduction to Tail-wheel flying HERE.
                Last edited by Nev; 07-02-2023, 11:23 PM.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                  Is the Bearhawk a “problem child” design for LDCOG risk? We can’t answer that without defining the children in the family. Among tailwheel airplanes, the Bearhawks are not problem children- they are the shining star children on their best behavior. But if we include tricycles in the family, the Bearhawk, and all other tailwheel airplanes, pose a high threat for LDCOG.
                  There have been Bearhawk LDCOG mishaps that could be credited with construction errors such as main wheel alignment, but by far and away the most common cause of LDCOG, and thus the most common cause of all Bearhawk mishaps, is the pilot’s choice to operate in conditions that exceed that pilot’s ability to control the airplane.

Is LDCOG related to experience? LDCOG isn’t directly caused by a lack of experience, but rather by a lack of competence for the conditions and/or a lack of good decision-making. Inexperienced pilots (less than, say, 50 hours in type) are at a high risk for lacking competence and decision-making, but the statistics show us that pilots with a very wide range of experience levels are quite capable of LDCOG mishaps. It may take a 30-knot gust to topple a 1000-hours-in-type pilot compared to a 10-knot gust for a 10-hour pilot, but regardless of pilot experience, Bearhawks can (and will) encounter environmental conditions that even the best Bearhawk pilot in the world can’t overcome, except by electing not to fly. The superior pilot uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill.
                  I agree, Bearhawks don't have any inherent flaw with controllability which I have found, in fact I believe they have great control effectiveness.

Of course every control surface has limits. In my view, the limits to be more careful of in a Bearhawk are aileron during a slow landing in gusty conditions, and rudder / steering when three pointing on a rough surface. But you've got to really be pushing to the limits.

I think the causes of LDCOG could be summarised in three broad groups, no idea which is the prime cause....
                  - Lack of experience / currency / competency
                  - Poor judgement / decision making
                  - Inattention

Any skill level is the right skill level - provided it's combined with the right judgement. This whole discussion is about pilot experience combined with decision making, and attention to the job at hand perhaps being the only wildcard in the pack. The point is, the Bearhawk has the capability to do a lot of impressive stuff, and do it safely.

Only because Jared asked: 1,000 hours Bearhawk time including 6 aircraft, 20 years total duration including various other tailwheel types. All private ops. Not breaking any records any time soon.

I have heard it said that most LDCOG accidents occur with pilots who are new to their Bearhawk e.g. pilots who have recently acquired or transitioned onto the Bearhawk. For some reason new builders seem to crash far less often, but clearly they aren't immune.

Comment

NTSB DATABASE
                    There are 19 Bearhawk Loss of Directional Control On Ground accidents in the NTSB database.

Weather
                    16 of these accidents had an average reported wind strength of 6 knots
                    Only 4 of the accidents involved wind strength greater than 10 knots

Pilot Experience
                    Average experience 7117 Hours

Pilot Experience on a Bearhawk
                    Average time on type 190 hours
                    15 had less than 100 hours on a Bearhawk
                    12 had less than 50 hours on a Bearhawk

Aircraft airframe hours
                    Average airframe hours 238
                    8 occurred with less than 100 hours airframe hours
                    6 occurred with less than 60 airframe hours
                    2 occurred with less than 10 airframe hours

It goes without saying that we owe it to those pilots who took the time to record details of a humbling experience so that others could benefit. Hopefully we can build on their open reporting culture.
                    Last edited by Nev; 07-03-2023, 07:59 AM.
                    Nev Bailey
                    Christchurch, NZ

Comment

This is a great thread. I simply love it when someone imparts wisdom, knowledge, & or experience to me. Thank you guys !
                      ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X