Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    " I have seen for the LS3 is a roughly 100-150lb more than the 0-540 " I have only one question. Where do you get your numbers from? Fairly big broad statement you made! Are you familiar with Lycoming 580 verse the 540? I am. I do not want to come across as being aggressive, However. You want to talk smack lets not start pulling numbers out of the air. A complete weight is not possible until a propeller has been decided upon. It is nice to see someone is paying attention to the pictures we post!
    Last edited by Sir Newton; 11-25-2021, 12:18 AM.

• Westward_Flyer
    replied
    I’m really hoping that the Corsair power ls3 conversion is a success and well proven when I start my build in about 5 years. I love the LS3 and am rooting for anyone that is brave enough to try the conversion!

Leave a comment:

• Redneckmech
    replied
    That doesn't look like a Lycoming!
    All joking aside, the auto conversions intrigue me. Did you go with an Autopsru or Robinson V8 drive? The installed weight I have seen for the LS3 is a roughly 100-150lb more than the 0-540 but I am wondering if it would affect the CG in a good way. I have read several reports of the 4-place running out of CG well before running out of gross weight and having more weight on the nose would help with that. Out of curiosity, have you run the numbers on the BH5 yet?
    I have thought a 300-320HP turbo-normalized V6 may hit the sweet spot between power and installed weight but there really is not much on the market that fits in the category. I will likely have plenty of time to think about it while building and perhaps that niche will get filled in the meantime.

Keep up the posts! I have really appreciated the information you have shared!

- Bill

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Greetings Bearhawkers! Just a quick check-in to say everything is going well with BH5 biuld. The biuld is getting a little western now! Been some crazy weather around some parts. Hope you all are doing well. Cheers
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• jaredyates
    commented on 's reply
    Going off book won't get you banned. It might get some pushback to help clarify that it is non standard. Grounds for banning include off topic partisan politics, toxic nastyness, etc.

• Bcone1381
    commented on 's reply
    I'd like to validate what Nev has written. Your a fabricator....you fabricators get stuff done....

Your scratch building faster than I can Quick Build and doing it right. We don't want design, strength, or safety compromises. I think Feathers get ruffled by compromises the erode best practices. You might consult with Jared about your off book ventures to see what the boundaries/allowances are and if your have some ideas that would benefit the design, streamline the build, or be a blessing to the group.

• Gerhard Rieger
    commented on 's reply
    They look great, tight fit though. If I can do it again I would make them a tad smaller. Mine is exactly like yours

• Nev
    replied
    My post are going to be fewer & fewer, as I start to go off book with the project.
    Please keep posting, I'm very interested in what you're doing. Fantastic progress !

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Some simple cheerleading about the BH5 project. Finished of fabricating 4 fuel tanks & all the tank strapping tighten turn buckles. Finished up fitting RH wing bottom skins. Recieved all my 4130 tubing. Fuselage fabrication will begin after I skin & rivet my LH wing. My post are going to be fewer & fewer, as I start to go off book with the project. Not wanting to russle feathers with the brass on the forum & get myself banned.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Mason
    replied
    Looks real good, Bud. Wish I was there to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    NCLSA183
    You should see me Two Step. ROTFL

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    I want to share more information about layout & drilling caps strips with anyone who is reading these posts. It is very important when stack drilling multiple layers to make sure the entire stack is level. I am mean perfectly level use celecos to hold the caps strips assembly together. Drill in groups, front & back cap strips together lined up as they will be riveted on to the spar cap. Develop a system to keep track of which strip goes where! Keep your cutting tools & drill bits sharp. Doing this right means everything will line & your rivets will simply slide into the assembly with proper tolerances.

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    NCLSA183
    I now understand you & your comment on this post commenting on AC-43.

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Just some more cheerleading here. Finished welding out the RH main. For the welding nerds that read this post I averaged 1.7 inches per minute counting 2" per rivet on this tank. Just need to cut/weld in the appropriate sized NPT fittings and a bubble test & wammo finished RH tanks. Also got the fit up done on LH tanks this afternoon they still need the rivets bucked & then welding. Tuesday my 4130 tubing is arriving. I need to decide to finish off the riveting on the skins or to start fabricating the fuselage. 90% complete. 90%to go. Have good weekend.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Had a rain day today, I got out of doing fall yard work! I got to work on the BH all day. Awesome day. RH fuel cell all ready to weld up.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X