Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Just some more cheerleading here. Finished welding out the RH main. For the welding nerds that read this post I averaged 1.7 inches per minute counting 2" per rivet on this tank. Just need to cut/weld in the appropriate sized NPT fittings and a bubble test & wammo finished RH tanks. Also got the fit up done on LH tanks this afternoon they still need the rivets bucked & then welding. Tuesday my 4130 tubing is arriving. I need to decide to finish off the riveting on the skins or to start fabricating the fuselage. 90% complete. 90%to go. Have good weekend.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Had a rain day today, I got out of doing fall yard work! I got to work on the BH all day. Awesome day. RH fuel cell all ready to weld up.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    These fuel cells are biult tough as nails. Today I fit up the RH main tank. I hope to get after welding it up tomorrow.

• rodsmith
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great, I found fabricating and welding the 4 tanks to be a very lengthy process. I had a few leaking rivets to re weld but no seam leaks so was happy with the results.

• davzLSA
    commented on 's reply
    beautiful welds!!!

• NCLSA183
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for sharing. You are obviously a talented welder, among other things. I haven't lit up my TIG in a couple years either but I will certainly do some practice runs before starting the tanks. I'm probably a bit more rusty than you appear to be.
    Mitch

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Greetings to all Bearhawkers. After I finish off the skin stiffeners I fell down the rabbit hole of final fit up & welding out the fuel tanks. Lots of little dessions had to be made about the fuel system logic so I welded in all the right tank fittings in the correct spots. I attached a picture or two of my RH aux tank. Building the tanks are a little bit tricky. If you have any questions on the how. Get after it & ask. The welding is fun! Been awhile since I struck an arc.
    And some of CYQU pilots found time to fly out to Jasper National Park. Really good flight and a good time.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Hola, I have been working on the fabrication and installation of skin stiffeners. Everything is moving along nicely. Couple pics for those of you who are interested. Any questions. That's what PM's are for. Cheers
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• way_up_north
    commented on 's reply
    was this a recent change to the B-wing ..is it in the safety/changes notices..for those of us who would like to check if our plans reflect the change or not...thanks

• way_up_north
    commented on 's reply
    can you include a link to the picture or video you are referring to ,,,of the Macho BH5 oil panning...thanks

• NCLSA183
    commented on 's reply
    I can only imagine the time savings of always having the right tool for the job just a few steps away... Color me "envious". I've collected a few good tools over the years but have never been able to collect "that" much working space!! :)

• NCLSA183
    commented on 's reply
    All the different and unique ideas that we see from builders are amazing and entertaining.

• NCLSA183
    commented on 's reply
    Nice Jig :)

• NCLSA183
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I'm talking about!! Pure art!

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    100% agree, this is a builders forum. Just some simple open dialogue is all. That provides Avery unique perspective that we as builders and owners really never would get to see. Photo is worth a thousand words.
    Last edited by Sir Newton; 08-18-2021, 06:05 PM.
Working...
X