Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello BearHawkers, Just some general cheerleading here. SO, Riveting on LH main & rear spars are complete. The spars came out straight as an arrow they are prefect! May I highly recommend using a jig similar to the one I built. I do not want to over step here, however the jig works like a hot dam. The electrical strut I used to celeco the spar to are at the Stations A, B, D, & E. Now we are working on bucking all the RH spar rivets. If any one has any questions. Just ask. I really like chatting about BearHawk anything. cheers !
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

This is what the RH main spar looks like up on the jig after I stuffed proper length rivets into every single hole ! before I start bucking rivets. There is a celeco every tenth hole. The masking tape is needed to hold rivets in place while you start to buck rivets. LH main took 12 hrs to buck all the rivets RH should be quicker with some experience under our belts. Cheer enjoy your week end.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks Good!! All those individual pieces of tape look time consuming to install. Are you familiar with Rivet Tape? Put One long piece over all the rivets. https://www.yardstore.com/rivet-tape-1

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        Bcone1381, lol, Yes I am. I even bought 2 rolls of 3/4. I am just to cheap to use it.
        I watching Mike Patey bending spars on his UT channel. Mike looks like a ton of fun!
        After his video I have decided to model up my wings in Solid Works to run an FEA
        Last edited by Sir Newton; 05-01-2021, 01:19 PM.

We have passed a major milestone. The wing spars have been completed. If I had to guess it took in and around 300 hours to complete all 4 wing spars. I have kept a detailed log so if anyone cares about the exact time. I could figure it out. Build on Bearhawkers! BUILD ON!
      Attached Files

Comment

Curious, what primer did you use? Looks gold, like alodine in the photo. Great job.
        Gerry
        Patrol #30

Comment

• Sir Newton
          Sir Newton commented
          Editing a comment
          It is alodine, I had a chat with our local inspector today about priming before his pre-cover inspection, He did not care one way or the other. So I will use Endura EPC2 sealing primer when the day comes to prime the wings. I am pleased with how the spars came out. I am fabricating a jig to help assemble the wings ribs to the spars.
          Cheers Gerry your comments are really appreciated thank-you
          Last edited by Sir Newton; 05-05-2021, 01:31 AM.

My fwd spars are going together now. Am very interested in your approach to rib to spar tooling. Will follow with interest. Keep the pictures coming.
        Gerry
        Patrol #30

Comment

Hello everyone who reads this message of general cheerleading the project on. We have now moved on to rib placement between the spars ! This is how I set my spars up on welding stands that can be adjusted for height as required. I am using a self leveling lazar level to set up the assembly. I happy to report the spars are straight measurable deflection is less then 1.5 mm overall end to end. This wing is far straighter then any Cessna wing. Today I trimmed and set #8 & #1 rib. Forgot to take pictures before I left the shop. I will post more asap. Any questions you want to ask. Feel free.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Last edited by Sir Newton; 05-11-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

How did you locate your compression struts?
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              The positions are station B & D. Basically they are simple mock ups of the aileron & flap drive linkage. Dwg: 11B

People may start calling this a aircraft wing!
            I haven't been posting much with spring coming to Rocky Mountain Peace Country I have chores around the homestead, rototilling the garden, raking up last year's leaves, putting a new roof on the south side of the barn the list is endless. I just want to build airplane all day kinda like being a teenager!
            This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Hola Bearhawkers. This past while been working on the HoneyDo list However we have 4 days of rain forecast! SO Back on the Bearhawk. Finished fitting all the main ribs in the RH wing & built the jig for the nose ribs as per Big Bob Barrows builder's manual. Works like a charm. Keep it square & straight & nose ribs should take 15-20 minutes per ribs. LH wing should go of with out a hitch. Attached are some pictures of the set up.
              This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Jig works like charm. Hats Off Big Bob. Had make a spacer block out of MDF for the 3 LH/RH reversed flange ribs.

Comment

Looking good Sir Newton. Keep the pictures coming.
                  Gerry
                  Patrol #30

Comment

Cheerleading update pictures for my BH5 wings. Simply been busy riveting structures, building the skinning jig, & fabricating fuel tank bay false spar. Purchased new shortie rivet gun from YardStore. Two thumbs for those tight spots around false spars!
                    Hope your all enjoying your projects as much as I am.
                    This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• way_up_north
                      way_up_north commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Love the pics …great progress…. Thanks for posting

Fuel Tanks & fuels tank parts! Whorah! 2 mains & 1 aux to fit up. Gota start drinking beer now. Need a buzz to start welding ;-)

Comment

Just some more Bearhawk cheerleading. GO BEARHAWK GO! Right & left wing super structures fabricating is now complete. Simple riveting left now. There are many little very! time consuming task to get the wings truly to this stage. I had no idea. Fuel tanks are a work in progress, basically they need to be welded & tested. I am estimating 80 US gallons in the wings. Gona start cutting skins & building a nose forming vacuum jig. Any comments are welcome. Cheers to all from GP Alberta Canada.
                      This gallery has 4 photos.
                      Last edited by Sir Newton; 07-16-2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• way_up_north
                        way_up_north commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for posting these great pics

maybe you mentioned it already somewhere else...I noticed you didn't put any holes in the small ribs behind the tank...was wondering your thoughts on what you're going to do there..

Commendable observation. In hindsight, I would abandon the D hole out right. Enlarging main tank by estimated 3 US gallons. I left that corridor large enough to accommodate flap torque tube.

Comment

Working...
                      X