Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Owner- Eric Newton's Patrol N316BP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner- Eric Newton's Patrol N316BP

Well now that the sale of the airplane has been finalized, I figured I should introduce myself. I'm Kurt Lawler, the lucky new owner of this amazing aircraft. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to purchase this plane from the current owner, Andy, who has been flying it in central Florida for the past 6 years. Eric has documented the build of this aircraft in the forums, so if anyone is curious of the specs just search for the tail # here. In short, it was built light and powerful which is exactly what you need in an Alaska airplane.

A little bit about me- I'm a 36 year old private pilot and engineer from Anchorage, Alaska. I spent the last summer flying my first airplane all around Alaska- a 1955 Cessna 170B with an O-300. As much as I loved that plane, I decided that I really wanted something with more short field performance and an experimental airworthiness certificate so I sold it at the end of February. I was planning on buying an experimental cub, but I've always had my eye on the Bearhawk Patrol and 4 place. I never thought that I would get the opportunity to buy one considering there aren't many out there flying, but when Andy reached out to me and offered his up for sale, I jumped at the opportunity. Between the speed and short field performance of this aircraft I think it's going to be perfect for Alaska backcountry adventures.

I am flying to Orlando next Thursday, April 16th to attend Sun n Fun for a couple days with Andy, then we'll head down to Okeechobee to hand off the aircraft. I'll spend a few days at the hangar flying it and preparing it for the cross country adventure starting on Tuesday, April 20th. I've attached a rough flight plan below for the first leg of the trip, from Florida to Port Angeles, Washington, my hometown. I've always wanted to check out the canyon country of Arizona, and Utah so that's why the route stays relatively south from Florida until Arizona. Once back in Port Angeles, I'll spend some time there with family and wait for a weather window to fly it back to Alaska.

If anyone has any suggestions for the trip back, would like to meet up at Sun n Fun or anywhere along the way back, feel free to reach out here or you can contact me on Facebook, or Instagram. Almost all my flight time is in Alaska so I don't really know much about flying in the lower 48 or places to go. I'd like to make the trip a bit of an adventure so I'm open to any suggestions for modifying the flight plan.

Looking forward to joining the Bearhawk community!

Kurt

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Congratulations! Sounds like you’ll have a grand adventure flying the new airplane home. What a way to start your ownership.

IDK your motivation to stop at KJAC but I’d choose a different airport. It’s certainly worth flying through the area though. I’m not sure if my plane will back back together but if it is we could spend some time in central Idaho. Flying B might be open for Breakfast. Pretty big if on my airplane though.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• AKLawler
      AKLawler commented
      Editing a comment
      I probably won't actually stop at KJAC, I just put that in there because I wanted to see the Tetons on my way back to Washington. I am anticipating a making quite a few game time decisions on the way back based on weather, fuel, and other factors so the actual flight plan is rough. Some of the other airports between Florida and the rockies are plugged in there simply because they have cheap AvGas!

• whee
      whee commented
      Editing a comment
      The Tetons are a nice scenic flight. Going from Driggs you could fly south, up the Snake River, north along the east side of the Tetons (I personally like the view of the Tetons from the east side), a loop through Yellowstone, then south along the west side of the Tetons then back to Driggs. Somewhere here I posted a view of a similar flight. I fly out of IDA.

• AKLawler
      AKLawler commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip, Whee! I will look into that loop around the Tetons.

Driggs, Idaho is on the west side of the Tetons and the correct side for you coming up from Utah and headed NW.
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• AKLawler
      AKLawler commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestion, I've added KDIJ to the flight plan instead of KJAC.

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, stop in Driggs. I lived and flew out of DIJ for 2 years. It's an easy hop over to JAC if you want, but there are so many scenic flight options in that area. You could spend a week flying everyday there and not see it all!

• AKLawler
      AKLawler commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob! I've really been enjoying your Bearhawk build BTW, you have a beautiful airplane and I'm looking forward to seeing it's first flight.

Sounds like a great adventure. What is your route plans leaving Washington state?

Comment

• AKLawler
      AKLawler commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm looking at 2 options for leaving Washington headed north. One is the coastal route to Ketchikan, but I only want to do that with a tailwind and a large high pressure system along the coast. I may get lucky, but unlikely.

Option 2 is the highway route. I haven't exactly nailed down that portion yet but I just ordered the customs sticker and I'm almost done with all the paperwork. I'll figure out more details during my layover in Port Angeles.

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Coastal BC and lower SE Alaska can get a bit scary in the summer. On sunny days, it might be dead calm early in the morning, but the forecast might be for high winds in the late morning to afternoon. Small craft warnings. Believe the forecast. It happens a lot. Those high pressure systems can yield gale force onshore winds in the afternoon for a week at a time.

• AKLawler
      AKLawler commented
      Editing a comment
      Sage advice about the winds svyolo. We had good luck with them but even then there were large stretches where the wind was really whipping up out of the southwest, very turbulent, especially near Glacier Bay. I studied the weather, called Kenai FSS and felt about as confident as I could but I could see unpredictable wind kicking up and being problem to deal with.

Welcome a many safe enjoyable hrs flying your patrol. Look at Jughead on YouTube, he flew the Alaska raffle C180 back to the states.

Comment

I haven't flown to Alaska in a light plane since 1981 when I delivered a C180 for Pearson Aircraft. I have some training to do. I miss my PANC layovers. My last leg with the airlines was PANC-KJFK in 2016. By the time you make that journey from FL to WA you and that airplane will know one another. Shoot us some teaser pics from S&F.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome trip and one I want to make in a year or two. If flew over it a lot but at 6 miles up, it is still beautiful. I took my boat up there, and back, 20 years ago. I always regretted leaving.

Comment

I was going to mention that KJAC isn't especially GA friendly, but you've been well warned already. A good alternative is KPNA (Pinedale). Much more friendly and would be along your general route.

Comment

We made it to Anchorage! Ended up taking the coastal route because Canada is crazy right now. I've got over 60 hours on this thing so far and I'm impressed. With the Titan 0X-360 it's been burning around 7gph, 6gph if I'm flying high. We went non stop from Bellingham to Ketchikan in 6 hours and still had over 10 gallons left! This is going to be excellent for flying around in Alaska. Now I just need to go drop some $$ on a set on bushwheels and a prop.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats on my bucket list.

• AKLawler
              AKLawler commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Zach I will be there! Trying to talk myself out of buying a set of 31" blems at Airframes on Saturday!

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              smart ! great choice

Looks like a great trip, fantastic photos
            N678C
            https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
            Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

What an awesome trip !
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
              YouTube - Build and flying channel
              Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Awesome pics.

Comment

And that, sir, is why we fly. 😁. I'm in BC and I am so looking forward to all this

Comment

Working...
                  X