Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnetometer location and pitot tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys -

I'm thinking of putting in a Dynon system - I think the D10A ADAHRS has a magnetometer built into the unit, but then you need the remote magnetometer (SKU 100323-000) if you get interference in the original location. I'm building a simple "fair weather" VFR truck.

1) Has anyone had success with just the main unit? Or should I really think about mounting the remote compass at the planning stage? Wingtip OB sounds like my preferred location.

2) Has anyone run their own looms, or is it easier to just buy Dynon's harness (SKU: 100425-000) off-the-shelf?

Any info you can provide would be great, especially if someone just spells out an installation that has worked for them, and I can copy it shamelessly :-)

Thanks

James
    The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

James;
      EFIS's use pitot static and magnetometer info for more than displaying speed, altitude, and heading. One of the very useful things they use it for is calculating winds. Knowing what the wind is doing all the time is a really nice feature. I am doing a simple panel as well, single EFIS and a tablet. But I would like the magnetic input to the one EFIS to be accurate, so I am mounting a remote magnetometer.

You can always try it without the remote first, and see how well it works. I am putting mine on one of the outboard rib bays, on a access panel cover. A hatch is easier to remove than the wingtips, even though it might be a bit more work to install initially.

Comment

Just very happily brought life to a Dual HDX system.
        Entire system mounted between instrument panel
        and firewall.

The bottom line is I will be ordering the remote magnetometer.

A plain old magnetized crescent wrench will be
        detected approximately 12 to 18 inches from
        the ADAHRS units.

Firewall mounted solenoids, master, starter,
        aux battery contactors will swing the mag heading 30 deg.

A cell phone EMI is picked up at 12 in with about 10 deg
        heading fluxuations.

Dynon is great equipment, very sensitive compass.
        go with the remote!

Comment

• James
          James commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the input Svyolo and 272, that's exactly the sort of "real world" insight I was hoping for. Great point about wind drift as well, that's handy to know. I'll go with the remote compass option.

I look at all those fancy big touch screens SV, I wonder if I put one of those in I'll spend too much time looking at the panel, and not enough time enjoying the scenery outside. Let me know how you get on with your fitout, a small 3-1/8" EFIS and a ipad will do me fine as well.

Thanks guys,

James

I was told by Jason Smith of Aerotronics, the company who built my instrument panel with the 10" Skyview HDX, that Dynon previously sold the ADAHRS with the Magnetometer as a combined unit. Now, Dynon sells the ADAHRS and the Magnetometer as two separate units. I have installed the ADAHRS under the pilot seat, and the Magnetometer will in the most outboard bay of the starboard wing.
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          In the early days the magnet sensor was only available inside the adahrs. Subsequently, a remote magnet sensor was made available. Unless things have changed recently, my understanding is that the adahrs units all contain internal magnet sensors. When one installs a remote magnet box, skyview disregards the internal sensors and instead uses the remote sensor. When installing two adahrs units, only one remote magnet sensor is required, and only one can be used per skyview system. I ran all of my wires in the same conduit, and have not been able to attribute any adverse performance to that.

Originally posted by James View Post

Any info you can provide would be great, especially if someone just spells out an installation that has worked for them, and I can copy it shamelessly :-)

Thanks

James
        Some builders avoid running the magnetometer and wing tip light wiring in the same bundle. Keep some distance between them.

Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post

Some builders avoid running the magnetometer and wing tip light wiring in the same bundle. Keep some distance between them.
          If installed in the wing, Garmin wants all the wiring in that wing to be shielded, and no local grounds. I did that as well as run the magnetometer wiring with good separation from the rest of the wire bundle.

Comment

I ran my lighting wires in the forward “D” section and the compass wires in the trailing edge of the wing. I do not have any electrical interference with the compass. there are two systems with each compass mounted under the wing tip, one under left wing tip and one under the right.

Comment

Working...
            X