Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nuts or nutplates on the windscreen mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts or nutplates on the windscreen mounts

Bear tracks shows Bob using nuts on the side tabs to mount the windscreen. Anybody use nut plates?

For me the reason to use nutplates is if you can not get to the bolt/screw head and the nut at the same time. In this case the nuts would be totally accessible. So I wouldn't mess with nutplates. Mark

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      How often do you remove the windshield for maintenance? I should have above average access to the space behind the instrument panel.

• zkelley2
      zkelley2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Typically only to replace the windscreen. So, all but never.

• gregc
      gregc commented
      Editing a comment
      The airframe will outlast the windscreen so while you may not replace the windscreen someone else will eventually. Have pity on them and don't make it too difficult!

Yes, I used nutplates.

If you have a fully enclosed pillar structure, with no exposed tubes or wiring (which I do) - then you can secure the whole assembly with screws and nutplates, and avoid using a seperate set of fasteners.

I can't access the internals of the pillar without removing those screws, and the pillar precludes access to the tabs. This is much cleaner than having a lot of exposed tubing and delicate wires, it also prevents UV damage, and perhaps most importantly - prevents passenger damage during ingress and egress.
    Last edited by Battson; 06-02-2021, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X