Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deburring holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deburring holes

It was suggested to me that deburring drilled holes should not be done with a deburring wheel (2024 T3). This is important consideration because I still have a LOT of deburring to do on the wings and elsewhere. I plan to etch and paint parts before assembly, if that mitigates any problems.

But here are the comments: "The alclad has been removed with the deburring wheel. Putting a fastener(dissimilar metals) through the hole will cause corrosion in the area over time.” And even though I will use solid aluminum rivets on aluminum parts, "It is not the aluminium itself that is the problem but the alloys used.”

Bottom line, can I continue to deburr with the Scotchbrite wheel and pads, or should I strictly use deburring tools?

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 2.14.32 PM.png
    Frank Forney
    Englewood CO
    https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
    EAA Chapter 301

I doubt there is much galvanic corrosion between different aluminum alloys. They usually all fall within a 250mV delta in the galvanic series. On the other hand the whole point of alclad is to sandwich a fatigue resistant alloy between two thin layers of corrosion resistant alloys. Sanding off the outer layers makes the piece more corrosion-prone.
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

I use a this tool in a cordless screwdriver. Works like a champ. One revolution only. Got mine from Clveland Tool: https://www.cleavelandtool.com/produ...deburring-tool
      Lee

Patrol QB #312
      Buchanan Airfield
      Concord, CA

Comment

Strictly use the proper tools. :-) The holy Bible of AC-43 Deburring controls cracking. ;-(
        Last edited by Sir Newton; 09-28-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Preponderance of opinion (Facebook groups Bearhawk Builders Support and Aviation Sheet Metal) is that one should not deburr holes with the abrasive wheel. The corrosion issue may or may not rear its ugly head. Expert opinion varies slightly. Using Stewarts Ekoprime on these parts will certainly help in this regard. Nobody said my parts are ruined, just that is not good practice to remove excess material just to get a smooth edge to the hole.

Also, a sharp drill bit should be used with a back-up block whenever possible. It’s true I did force the drill through in many instances.

So I will proceed to clean these parts with detergent, then etch with Ekoetch, then prime with Ekoprime. Then assemble with rivets.

For the next round of drilling and deburring I’ll change methods. I have a basic bit and deburr tool from AS. To me it seems the ideal deburring bit will have a flatter angle than I have tried so far.

I like the suggestion to use a countersink guide which might offer dependable control over the bevel, which was my problem with both countersink and ‘dog leg’.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Frank Forney
          Englewood CO
          https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
          EAA Chapter 301

Comment

• Sir Newton
            Sir Newton commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a drill bit that is couple or three sizes bigger then the hole I am deburring. Simple cheap effective

I used this for my RV-8 and the Bearhawk I'm building. This one is on the ATS site, but I got mine from Avery Tools years and years ago. Absolutely dead simple to use and does a great job.

deburr.png
          -------------------
          Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
          Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
          RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• noema
            noema commented
            Editing a comment
            This tool is compatible with all the avery countersinking bits. This is useful when the stop cage is too bug. Extension also mounts into a drill chuck decently well. Good for countersinking hard to reach areas.

• nborer
            nborer commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the same thing, and many of the old-time A&Ps I worked with on CAF aircraft did as well. One or two turns does the trick.
        Working...
        X